Rangers pipped at the post in a memorable match

TWEEDMOUTH RANGERS 5EDINBURGH UNITED 6A memorable match, but one that Tweedmouth may wish to forget for after twice coming back from two goals down, they were literally pipped at the post.

Monday, 5th August 2019, 11:26 am
Updated Tuesday, 13th August 2019, 18:43 pm

Rangers thought they had salvaged a draw when Kieran Cromarty headed home Regan Graham’s corner, only for Danny McKinlay, positioned near an upright, to fire in a last seconds winner for the visitors.

The Berwick team scored first with just three minutes played, Miguel Freire getting a touch to a Graham free-kick. Six minutes later, the game’s first corner proved productive for Edinburgh as it led to a Stephen Scott equaliser.

On the 15 minute mark, United went in front when McKinlay prodded over the line after a Steph Murray grass-cutter into the box hit the far post.

Both sides had chances before Edinburgh made it 3-1 with the home defence yet to organise as a free-kick was quickly taken. For the third time, the top left corner of the field proved to be the main danger zone for the home side as, untroubled, Murray delivered to Scott for an easy finish.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Tweedmouth responded on the stroke of half time when Evan Smith and Ciaran Hatsell paved the way for Campbell to hit the net with relish.

On the restart, scrambling defence prevented another goal for the city team before Tweedmouth took over for the next 25 minutes, during which Graham set up Campbell for his second goal to make it three apiece.

They looked to be out of it again when United took the lead for a second time and added a further goal from the spot five minutes later. Murray streaked down the left wing and crossed. Scott’s 73rd minute glancing header marked his treble. Essalhi’s rash tackle on the former Berwick Rangers Under 20s player allowed Murray to extend the lead with a penalty.

Craig Colquhoun played a key role in the two goals that brought Tweedmouth level. First, Graham got on the end of his high cross and Colquhoun’s forceful run won the corner that produced an improbable 5-5 scoreline until McKinlay had the last say by hammering home the final cross of the afternoon.