Grey double as Rovers reach Minor Cup quarter-finals

HALTWHISTLE JUBILEE 2SPITTAL ROVERS 3Spittal progressed into the Minor Cup quarter finals after passing the daunting test of a trip to the very strong Haltwhistle Jubilee with flying colours - Thomas Grey's double complimented by a neat Marco Lambert finish midway through the second half.

Monday, 26th April 2021, 12:55 pm
Action from Hexham v Spittal on Saturday.

In glorious sunshine, it was the hosts who started swiftly, Aaron Hardy upended by Ben Fairbairn out wide with Rovers' keeper Mark Walters equal to James Charteries set piece. Hardy then leapt to meet Dion Parker's whipped cross only to see his glancing header rise over the Spittal goal.At the other end, Grey went close and the little striker was inches away from opening the scoring moments later - his shot sent narrowly over. Jeffrey was then denied after sneaking in at the far post - Liam Blair with a fantastic save down low with his legs. Blair was then forced to tip Kyle Wood's attempt over his crossbar and effectively dealt with any other high balls with an accurate punching technique. Pressure from the hosts then came by way of Jack Barker, who tested Walters from distance before Charteries saw his low shot whistle past the upright. It was Grey who then put the Seasiders in the driving seat with a goal either side of half-time - the youngster fooling the Jubilee defence with a clever flick before lashing one past Blair from the edge of the area for the opener. This was prior to drilling another one, hard and low, past the keeper's outstretched hand moments after the interval to double his side's lead.Following Walters' wonderful finger tip save to deny Robson, before Grey had a header for his hat-trick ruled out for offside.

They did not have to wait long to increase their lead, however when Marco Lambert capped off an excellent performance with the third with an elegant finish past Blair.

Haltwhistle pulled one back through Shaun Johnstone before substitute Richard Baxendale was adjudged to have handled in the box and Charteries scored again from the spot.

Spittal, however, were in no mood to let the tie slip from their grasp and it was too little, too late as far as the home side were concerned.