Rangers’ winless streak reaches ten games as Elgin take points

Berwick Rangers 0-3 Elgin City

Monday, 25th February 2019, 9:13 am
Updated Monday, 25th February 2019, 9:52 am

Berwick’s winless streak reached ten games when they were beaten 3-0 at home by Elgin on Saturday, and afterwards manager Johnny Harvey said the result typified his side’s luck when they are struggling at the wrong end of the table.

“I find it hard to believe we lost the game by three goals,” he said.

“There were some decisions which went against us, but that’s what happens when you are at the wrong end of the table.

“It’s frustrating, no doubt about it, but we are now embarking on a busy spell of six games in three weeks (including at least one key game against fellow Division 2 strugglers Albion Rovers) and we just have to get on with it.

“The players are showing some character, but we need more of the same in the coming games and hopefully things can start to change for us.”

Berwick went into the game giving a debut to new signing Cameron Blues, who joined the club on loan from Livingston in midweek, and he had a decent first appearance.

But there was no place in the starting line-up for Dougie Brydon, the defender forced to sit on the bench after picking up a rib injury in his first match back with the team in the previous home game.

“With all the games coming up we didn’t want to risk bringing Dougie back too soon,” said Harvey.

Rangers, who have now only taken two points from a possible 30, lost after conceding three second half goals, scored by Rabin Omar, substitute Chris McLeish and Brian Cameron.

Elgin also missed a first half penalty, saved by Berwick keeper Kyle Allison, who also made a string of other saves throughout the game to keep the score down.

The teams turned around goalless at half-time, although Berwick did have the ball in the net after 36 minutes through Lewis Barr, who was adjudged to be offside.

Earlier, Allison had made a fine save from a Kane Hester shot and had also saved a penalty from Daryl McHardy on 23 minutes after Berwick skipper Robert Wilson tripped Hester in the box.

Allison then punched away a snap shot from Brian Campbell whilst at the other end Berwick’s best two chances fell to striker Ahmed Aloulou just before half-time, but both his efforts were blocked.

Elgin finally managed to break the deadlock after 54 minutes when, from their third corner in quick succession, Omar headed in from close range after a failed near-post header by a Berwick defender.

Hester poked an effort wide as Elgin tried to further their cause, whilst at the other end Aloulou fired over for Berwick after being set up by Barr.

Elgin always threatened and two goals in two minutes sealed Rangers’ fate, giving the visitors their third win in a row,

Just two minutes after coming on, McLeish made it 2-0 after 70 minutes after being set up by Scott Roberts, and two minutes after that Cameron added a third, slotting in from the edge of the box after Rangers lost possession on the edge of the area.

As Elgin continued to press Allison twice had to make saves to deny Ross McIver and McLeish, and late in the game he saved from McIver again as City ran out comfortable winners to move up to fifth place in the table.

Berwick: Allison, Forbes, Wilson, Hume, Healy, Aloulou (Adamson 68), Cook, Barr (Murphy 82), McIlduff, Brown, Ogilvie 82), Blues.

Elgin: Gourlay, D Wilson (C Wilson 52), Lowdon, McHardy, Bronsky, McGovern, Omar, Cameron (McIver 73), Hester (McLeish 68), Roberts, Morrison.

Referee: Scott Lambie.

Attendance: 402.