Pressure is mounting on six-hit Rangers

Annan Athletic 6-0 Berwick Rangers

Monday, 8th April 2019, 9:37 am
Updated Monday, 8th April 2019, 9:39 am
Berwick Rangers Fooball Club Crest

Berwick’s miserable run at the foot of the table continued when they were thumped 6-0 by Annan at Galabank on Saturday.

It was Annan’s fourth win of the season over Rangers, and their biggest victory since joining the SPL.

Berwick, meanwhile, have now won only one of their last 19 games and remain bottom of Scottish League 2.

Fortunately, fellow strugglers Albion Rovers also lost (4-0 at home to Queen’s Park), which means with only four games remaining only one point separates the sides in the relegation play-off stakes.

Berwick literally slumped in the second half with all six of Annan’s goals coming in the second 45.

After a goalless first half the floodgates opened less than 60 seconds into the second period when Owen Moxon headed in from a Christian Nade cross.

Captain Robert Wilson then conceded a penalty when he fouled Moxon after 51 minutes and Tony Wallace converted from the spot.

Berwick showed little up front and the home side, sensing blood, hammered home their advantage with four goals in a 12 minute period.

First of all Moxon side-footed in for his second of the game after 65 minutes.

On 71 minutes Wilson turned the ball into his own net for 4-0, and just two minutes later Chris Johnston made it five with a shot from the centre of the box after being set up by Scott Hooper.

The final nail in Berwick’s coffin came in the 77th minute when David Wilson made it six of the best for the hosts with another shot from a central,position.

It might have been worse for Berwick had it not been for two saves by Berwick goalkeeper Sean Brennan in the closing stages from Wilson and Tommy Muir, whilst Aidan Smith headed over in injury time.

Afterwards, manager Johnny Harvey admitted his side had taken a ‘hammering’ in the second half and said it was not acceptable.

He even invited a supporter, ‘Ken,’ who has followed the team for over 50 years, into the dressing room after the game to explain to the players his passion for the club and what it means to have a League club in the town.

“Ken was passionate in the way he talked and I wanted the players to hear that, to hear what it means to the supporters,” he said.

“We had two good chances in the first half we didn’t take, but in the secomnd half we were hammered.

“We only have four games left, we need to start picking up points, because at the moment we are in a battle with Albion Rovers.

“I still have faith in my players and believe in their ability, but time is starting to run out.”