Manager calls for end to all the negativity surrounding club

Berwick Rangers 0-3 Queen’s Park

Monday, 15th April 2019, 9:09 am
Updated Monday, 15th April 2019, 9:14 am

Berwick manager Johnny Harvey has called on supporters to get behind him and his team as they prepare for three games which could shape the future of the club.

After a disappointing 3-0 home defeat at the hands of Queen’s Park on Saturday, coupled with Albion Rovers’ 92nd minute equaliser against league leaders Peterhead, Rangers now find themselves marooned two points adrift at the bottom of Scottish League 2.

They have three games to play, including a vital home fixture against fellow strugglers Albion on April 27, and Harvey said: “The result against Queens Park was not acceptable as we need points at this stage of the season.

“There is a lot of negativity around the club, but I am a young manager who has earned the right to be here and I will work hard to do whatever it takes to make this club successful.

“Until someone upstairs tells me I am not the man for the job I will put the hours in, spend time away from my family, but what we need now is for people to get behind the team for the three games that remain.

“They are three massive games and we have to remain positive, because if everyone gets behind the black & gold we can get out of this.”

The pressure was cranked up another notch with the home defeat to Queen’s Park.

First half goals from Kieran Moore and Scott McLain, from the penalty spot, gave the visitors a 2-0 half-time lead. Ciaran Summers added a third midway through the second half to give the mid-table Hamden outfit all three points.

With four minutes on the clock a long ball from the back caught out Gerry McLaughlan and found Grant Rose, who slipped it through to Lewis Barr, but his shot was tame and straight at Jordan Ross.

There wasn’t much between the sides and on 17 minutes Rose headed onto the roof of the net from a corner, but on 21 minutes the visitors broke down the left and Kieran Moore headed in from a deep cross from David Galt to give Queen’s the lead.

Just three minutes later Moore had another shot from the edge of the box which Berwick goalkeeper Ryan Goodfellow managed to push away at full stretch.

Then came four minutes which changed the pattern of the game. First of all, on 38 minutes Rose went down under a challenge in the box and made a claim for a penalty, but referee Colin Steven waved the appeals aside.

Then, on 42 minutes, Queen’s were awarded a penalty when Michael Ruth was tripped by Robert Wilson and Scott McLean slammed in the spot kick to double the advantage.

At the start of the second half Luke Main pulled a shot wide for Queen’s, and then Galt fired in a half volley which Goodfellow parried away.

A third goal for Queen’s from Summers after 75 minutes came when a short corner found him on the edge of the box and he cut inside before finding the net.

Two minutes later substitute Ouzy See had a stretching header saved by Hart, but Rangers never really tested the visiting keeper throughout, leaving them with only one win in 20 league outings.

Harvey was naturally disappointed at the performance and result claiming afterwards: “I usually back the players giving them credit for their efforts, but I have told them I am going to apportion some blame here, because I can’t go out on the pitch and defend every corner and kick every ball, as much as I would like to.

“This is not an easy job, but I just want the chance to show everyone how passionate I am about it. It’s never easy coming in midway through a season and inheriting a squad. I would love to be able to build my own team and put them out on the park next season to see what they are capable of, but of course there are some big games coming up this season before that and we still have a job to do, no matter how difficult it is.”