Elgin City 3-3 Berwick Rangers

Berwick had to settle for a point when they came from 3-1 down to earn a battling draw at Elgin in a re-arranged fixture on Tuesday.

Wednesday, 1st April 2015, 9:30 am

Rangers went into the game looking for a victory to go within three points of fourth-placed East Fife and Blair Henderson gave them the lead with the only goal of the first half.

But a second half hat-trick from Craig Gunn turned the match in Elgin’s favour before Henderson netted again with his fourth goal in the last four games. Substitute David Gold, just minutes after being introduced, then bagged an equaliser for Rangers in an enthralling fixture.

With Stevie Notman now ruled out for the rest of the season with a knee injury and Darren Lavery still unavailable after suffering a fall at work, Rangers, not unexpectedly, fielded the same side which had taken seven points from their previous three games

Berwick, who were playing their fourth game in the space of 11 days, had slightly the better of the opening exchanges and created more chances with Paul Willis having a shot saved by Ross Laidlaw in the bottom corner after 12 minutes.

Henderson then headed over before Shane Sutherland shot over at the other end for City.

As openings developed at either end Ross Gray was also denied by a save from Laidlaw, whilst Gunn shot wide for the home side.

Willis and Gunn then both went close again before Henderson opened the scoring after 37 minutes, poking the ball home from close range after meeting a cross from Kyle Wilkie.

It was Henderson’s third goal in the last four games and gave Rangers a slender lead at the interval.

But just seven minutes into the second half Elgin equalised when Gunn netted after being set up by Brian Cameron.

And after 58 minutes it was 2-1 when Gunn bagged his second of the game, volleying high into the net from close range after Sutherland created the opening.

Berwick’s Lee Currie was desperately unlucky when he saw a direct free kick rattle the Elgin crossbar after 65 minutes following a foul on Gray.

But after 69 minutes Gunn struck again, completing his treble with another close range finish with Cameron again creating the assist.

Berwick still had time to mount a fight-back and Henderson pulled a goal back after 75 minutes with a low shot from the right side of the box.

Five minutes later the striker went close to completing his own treble when he headed wide, but in the 84th minute, Gold, just three minutes after replacing Gray, shot home from a central position in the box to give Berwick a share of the spoils.

The result leaves Berwick five points off fourth with five games remaining.

They face a trip to take on league leaders Albion Rovers this weekend and their other games are Clyde (h), East Stirling (a), East Fife (h) and Arbroath (a).

Elgin: Laidlaw, Cooper, Duff, Gilchrist, McHardy, Cameron, Moore (Nicolson 46), McPhee, Gunn, Reid, Sutherland.

Berwick: Andrews, Jacobs, Young, Fairbairn, Maxwell, Gray (Gold 81), Wilkie, Willis, Currie, Russell, Henderson.

Referee: Steven Kirkland.

Attendance: 423.