East Fife 1-4 Berwick Rangers

Berwick turned in one of their best performances of the season and rekindled their play-off hopes with a confident away win over East Fife on Tuesday.

Wednesday, 25th March 2015, 8:38 am

The victory made it two wins in the space of four days and lifted the Rangers to seventh in the table, just four points off the play-offs with a game in hand.

Paul Willis, new signing Kyle Wilkie, Blair Henderson and substitute David Gold were all on target as Colin Cameron’s side swept aside the challenge of the Fifers in Methill.

Berwick started the game without Stevie Notman and Darren Lavery, with Ross Gray and Blair Henderson being handed starts, and new signing Kyle Wilkie retaining his place after making his debut on Saturday at Montrose.

There wasn’t a lot between the sides in the early stages and it was 12 minutes before the first shot was registered, an effort from Paul Willis which was always going high.

This only served to act as a sighter, for less than two minutes later Willis fired Rangers in front with a first time shot from 20 yards out following a throw-in.

As Berwick upped the tempo, Henderson had a shot blocked, and an effort following a Willis corner was headed over the top. Gray then pulled a shot wide before Andy Russell had a shot saved by Millar in the bottom corner after good link-up play between Scott Maxwell and Gray.

It was all Berwick at this stage and Lee Currie also had a shot blocked, and it took 29 minutes before East Fife made their first serious attack, Jonathan Page heading wide to the right.

Berwick continued to create further chances in the lead up to half-time with Willis, Fairbairn Currie and Wilkie all going close, but it was the Fifers who almost snatched an equaliser when Derek Riordan crashed a 20 yard strike off the crossbar just a minute before the break.

The stats showed Berwick had nine efforts to two in the first half, but at the interval it remained 0-1.

The start of the second half was a little more tentative, but after 52 minutes Berwick got the reward their play deserved when Wilkie netted his first goal for the club, heading high into the net from a Russell cross.

And two minutes later Henderson might have added a third with a shot which brought another save from Miller before Russell shot over after an hour following another good move.

As Rangers continued to set the oace a Henderson shot was saved by Miller, but at the other end Andrews had to be alert to snuff out a free kick from the ever-dangerous Riordan.

The game was effectively out to bed after 69 minutes however, when Currie drove forward and olayed into the path of Henderson’ who finished well to give Rangers a 0-3 lead.

Russell shot over as the visitors continued to impress, but in 88 minutes East Fife pulled a goal back when Sean Dickson headed the ball over the line from an Alan Cook corner.

However, there was still time for another from Rangers, substitute Gold heading in a Willis cross as The Borderers finished in style.

East Fife: Millar, Mullen, Campbell, Page, Smith, Brown, Walker (Cook 79), Barr (Smith 57), McAleer (Dickson 56), Austin, Riordan

Berwick Rangers: Andrews, Jacobs (Bauld 85), Young, Fairbairn, Maxwell, Gray (Gold 74), Currie, Willis, Wilkie (Miller 79), Russell, Henderson.

Referee: Crawford Allan.