Berwick Rangers 1-1 Queen’s Park

Berwick and Queen’s Park battled out a 1-1 draw in the wind at Shielfield, but in truth it was a result which suited neither side.

Saturday, 28th March 2015, 8:56 pm

Rangers were looking for three points to maintain their play-off push, whilst Queens were looking for a win to keep their title hopes alive.

John Carter put the visitors in front, but Paul Willis levelled for Rangers from the penalty spot.

After winning their last two games, Berwick, not surprisingly, fielded an unchanged side, but the game was played in a strong wind, which made ball control difficult for both sides.

After four minutes Lee Currie bundled a shot wide which was deflected for a corner and then Blair Henderson headed wide from a Currie corner.

But it was Queen’s Park who made the breakthrough after 19 minutes when John Carter tapped in from close range after Shaun Rooney cut the ball back from the byeline on the right.

Michael Andrews had to scramble across his line to save low to his left from a Spiders’ free kick as the visitors, with the wind behind them, held the territorial advantage.

Berwick went close through Henderson, whose shot from the right side of the box was pushed over the crossbar by Mike Muir.

Rangers managed to get themselves back on level terms after 40 minutes when Willis dispatched a penalty in the bottom corner after Ross Gray was brought down by Sean Burns following a cut-back from Kyle Wilkie.

Early in the second half Paul Woods went on a run up the left, beating two Rangers’ defenders, and claimed a penalty as he went down in the box, but referee Kevin Graham waved play on.

Wilkie then pulled a shot wide at the other end for Berwick, whilst Carter shot over for Queen’s.

Wood went on another run, this time on the right, but his cross beat everyone in the box.

Conditions meant quality football was virtually non-existent but in the 79th minute Willis had a chance to sneak a winner, but his shot from a cut-back was well saved by Muir.

Right at the death Wilkie went on a good run through the middle, but Henderson, under pressure, lifted the ball over the top.