Arbroath 5-0 Berwick Rangers

Berwick’s season ended in another disappointing defeat when they were well beaten 5-0 by Arbroath at Gayfield.

Saturday, 2nd May 2015, 5:11 pm

This was a game which had end of season written all over it - Arbroath were already guaranteed a play-off place and Berwick had seen their lingering hopes extinguished a week earlier with defat at home to East Fife.

But again it was Rangers’s inability to take their chances when they were on top which cost them dearly, a second half capitulation making it an afternoon to forget for the team and their fans.

Throughout the game, and in the first half in particular, Berwick created a string of chances, but failed to convert, whilst Arbroath failed to register a shot on goal in the first half, but scored five times after the beak through Bobby Linn, Simon Murray, who netted twice, substitute Thomas Grant and Ricky Little.

Berwick went into the game without Lee Currie, who was suspended, and Scott Maxwell, who was injured.

This meant a starting place for Kerr Young in defence with Ben Miller in midfield and Darren Lavery recalled to the line-up in a three-pronged attack which also included Andy Russell and Blair Henderson.

Paul Willis had an early chance saved by Marc McCallum whilst Miller shot wide.

Kyle Wilkie and Lavery were also both off target as Rangers saw more of the ball in the first half hour.

But this was a typical meaningless game, with nothing at stake for either side, and despite further misses from Miller and Lavery, who shot over the bar in injury time, it remained 0-0 at the break.

Arbroath, meanwhile, seldom threatened going forward, and in the first 45 they failed to register a single shot on goal.

But just seven minutes into the second half the home side took the lead when Bobby Linn fired them in front with a left foot shot low past Andrews.

And after 59 minutes it was 2-0 when Simon Murray latched onto a cross from Linn to smash the ball past Andrews.

As Rangers tried to rally Wilkie brought out a save from McCallum with a shot to the centre of the goal.

But by this stage Arbroath were riding high on confidence and after a Murray header was saved by Andrews, he bagged his second of the game after 67 minutes to put the result beyond doubt.

Kieran McWalter then shot narrowly wide for the home side as Rangers continued to struggle, although Henderson managed to shoot over.

But to add further misery to Rangers and their fans, Colin Cameron’s side were reduced to ten men after 83 minutes when Stephen Tulloch was sent off for a foul, preventing a goalscoring opportunity, and from the resultant free kick substitute Grant found the net for Arbroath’s fourth.

Andrews then had to produce a good save to deny Mark Whatley as Arbroath finished with a flourish, and they added their fifth in the 89th minute when Little completed Rangers’ misery.

Arbroath - McCallum’ Little, Nicholl, Gordon, Lowdon, Linn (Buchan 69), Whately, Carreiro (Grant 71), Stewart, Murray (Smith 69), McWlter.

Berwick - Andrews, Jacobs, Fairbairn, Tulloch, Young, Wilkie, Miller, Willis (Gold 80), Lavery, Russell (Gray 66), Henderson.

Referee-Gavin Ross