Two see red as Rangers dumped by championship-chasing Stenny

Stenhousemuir 4-0 Berwick Rangers

Monday, 5th February 2018, 15:42 pm
Updated Monday, 5th February 2018, 15:46 pm
Berwick Rangers Fooball Club Crest

After two battling performances against Cowdenbeath and Peterhead in the previous week, Berwick were blitzed by third from top Stenhousemuir when they visited Ochilview on Saturday.

Martin Scott scored two goals for the dominant home side with Harrison Paton and Alan Cook also netting.

And in what was a poor day at the office, Rangers finished the game with only nine men after Kieran Stewart and Gary Phillips were both sent off.

Berwick manager Robbie Horn included five of his six January signings in his starting line-up with last minute arrival Paul Willis making his debut.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Ousman See, who had scored in his previous two outings, had a shot saved from outside the box after only three minutes, but in truth Stenny dominated the first half and by the break had built up a deserved 2-0 lead.

They opened the scoring on 12 minutes when Scott headed in a cross from Ross Dunlop.

Cook fired over with a free kick, Paton and Scott both shot wide and Mark McGuigan also saw an effort go the wrong side of a post before Paton netted from a central position after being set up by McGuigan in the 35th minute.

In between, Rangers tried to rally with Jack Hamilton having two efforts blocked whilst Steven Thomson fired over following a free kick. Oliver Fleming also had a shot blocked whilst Willis pulled an effort wide, but they were unable to hit the target and found themselves trailing at the break.

In the second half Paton had a shot saved by Robby McCrorie in the Berwick goal, but there was a further set-back for Rangers in the 56th minute when they were reduced to ten men, with Stewart being sent off for a second bookable offence.

Paton continued to be a threat and he had another shot saved in the bottom corner by McCrorie, whilst Scott had a shot blocked and also fired over.

Another goal looked ominous and it came in the 68th minute when Cook shot home after a shot from substitute Eddie Ferns had been saved.

And just three minutes later it was 4-0 when Scott netted his second of the game, finding the bottom corner after being set up by Ferns.

As Stenny continued to go on the offensive they almost lay siege on the Berwick goal with Paton and Scott (twice) going close to extending the lead.

And it got even worse for Berwick in the 81st minute when they went down to nine men, after Gary Phillips was shown a red card for a foul.

Late in the game Ruaridh Donaldson went close with a free kick for the home side, whilst Hamilton fired over at the other end for Berwick.

But it was the home side who finished the stronger and Ferns, Cook and Jamie Longworth all went close to inflicting more misery on the visitors before the final whistle.

Stenhousemuir: Smith, Meechan, Dunlop, Dunlop, Donaldson, Ferry, Paton, Murray (Ferns 68), Cook, Scott (McMenamin 78), McGuigan.

Berwick: McCrorie, Fleming, Cook, Stewart, Phillips, Thomson (Lavery 58), Petkov (Todd 58), O’Kane, Willis, See (Orru 72), Hamilton.

Referee: Gavin Ross.

Attendance: 323.