Tweedmouth through to quarter-finals

Tweedmouth Ams 5-1 Linton Hotspur

Wednesday, 16th March 2016, 10:51 am
Updated Wednesday, 16th March 2016, 1:43 pm
STRUGGLING -- Holbrook St Michaels.

Tweedmouth advanced to the quarter finals of the Forsyth Cup with a fine win against an experienced Hotspur side.

The home side were given an early scare when a header from a corner hit the bar and bounced down onto the goal-line before being cleared to safety.

This seemed to spur the Amateurs into action and Antcliff opened the scoring after he sprung the offside trap and rounded the keeper.

The lead was almost doubled five minutes later when Dixon shot over from close range after a goalmouth scramble following a corner. The Amateurs had to wait until the half hour mark for the second, which arrived when Phillips tapped in at the back post from a Wright knock down.

The home team fell into the trap of becoming complacent following the goal. A mix up between goalkeeper and defender almost allowed the visiting striker through, but Cain managed to tip the shot around the post.

The visitors did pull one back, however, when Turnbull gave away a penalty, bringing down the left back just inside the box, the penalty giving Cain no chance.

Tweedmouth had two chances to extend their lead before half time. Lauder, then Wood, both went close with headers, both from crosses from Antcliff, who was linking up well with Tait, giving Tweedmouth plenty attacking options on the right side.

Tweedmouth started the second half brightly, with Wood again going close from a Clark cross.

Lauder then extended the lead with his first goal for the club. Wright won possession in midfield, before releasing Lauder, who outpaced the central defender and calmly finishing into the corner.

The same player had a chance to double his tally only five minutes later, but his penalty was saved.

Two goals in the space of a minute killed the game off on the hour mark.

Firstly, Clark curled a sweet strike from the edge of the box, and then Lauder added his second after a breakaway, which stated with a Linton free kick on the edge of the Tweedmouth area.

This was the cue for Tweedmouth to make several changes and introduce fresh legs, but having made their allotted substitutions, they found themselves down to 10 men for the last quarter of an hour following a knee injury to Dixon. Tweedmouth now advance to meet first division opposition in Hawick Waverley in the quarter finals.

Tweedmouth Amateurs would like to thank Cybex, Well Hung & Tender, Brian Renton Builders and Marshall Meadows Caravan Park for sponsoring the game.