Tenants at risk from carbon monoxide
Nearly 50 per cent of people renting a private property have not had a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm installed.
Research by campaign group Project SHOUT found a further 10 per cent of tenants were unsure whether they had a CO alarm, putting them at risk from the deadly gas that kills 50 people a year and leaves thousands more in need of hospital treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning.
Figures show that in the North East, 49 per cent of tenants did not have an alarm installed by their landlord.
Eddie Hughes, MP for Walsall North and Project SHOUT ambassador, is proposing a law change to ensure it becomes mandatory for landlords to install CO alarms in all properties, not just those with a solid fuel burning appliance.