Study needs readers’ input
Former workers at the Berwick Electric Generating station, based on the banks of the River Tweed, are being sought to help a forthcoming project with students at Berwick Academy.
The plant, which first brought electricity to Berwick in the early 1900s, played a key part in the modernisation of Berwick and as part of a project investigating Power to Berwick Past, Present and Future, the school, in partnership with the North East Local Enterprise Partnership, is seeking more information about the station and those who worked there.
Sarah Flanagan, director of Berwick Academy’s Sixth Form, said: “The electric power generating station is a bit of a mystery. To help local students understand the changing face of the power industry in Berwick, we would be delighted to hear from anyone who has photographs, artefacts or, most importantly, a story to tell. The building has long gone so we want to make sure its history is not lost. We would love to hear the stories of former employees or from people who had family and friends who worked there.”
The origins of the site go back to 1904, when the Berwick Urban Electric Supply Co opened a new plant on the site of the old shipyards.
Sign up to our daily newsletter
The opening was celebrated by a grand Electrical Exhibition in 1905, opened by Lord Jerningham. The company was then taken over by the Southern Scottish Electrical Company in 1936, before later becoming part of the nationalised industry.
Anyone with information can email Hannah Cummins from the LEP at email@example.com