Spittal denied by last gasp winner

Prudhoe YC 4-3 Spittal Rovers

Monday, 13th March 2017, 8:38 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 9:53 am

Kevin Greshon’s bullet header looked to have salvaged a point for Rovers, but Dale Watson had other ideas, his last gasp winner ensuring Prudhoe took all three points from this seven goal thriller in Northern Alliance Division 2.

Spittal keeper Stephen Mason was repeatedly called upon as the hosts peppered his goal with shots. The home side did not have it all their own way, however and fell behind to a James Moore goal just minutes in. .

The lead didn’t last long though and a quick break away saw Greshon head clear, but the talented Lee Blackburn turned nothing into something with a rasping 25 yard volley which nestled in the corner of the Seasiders net.

He then gave his side the lead direct from a dangerous inswinging corner despite the best efforts of Marco Lambert on the post.

Another move down the left ten minutes from the interval saw Kyle Jeffrey lash home a Luke Strangeways cross and an air of confidence descended on the men in red which they would take into the second half despite Prudhoe rattling the woodwork and going close from distance just before the referee’s half-time whistle.

Attacking wise, Spittal looked more positive and were a lot keener to get forward in numbers in the second half. Lambert went close after some neat play with Paul Wood before Strangeways linked up with Moore to send his shot just off target.

At the other end, Mason saved from point blank range before looking rather relieved as a shot came back off his post and into his arms. He could do nothing with Scott Douglas’s deflected shot, however which got Prudhoe’s noses in front once again.

The game ebbed and flowed in the latter stages, but it was James Moore’s trickery down the right which proved fruitful with under ten minutes remaining.

After beating his man, the teenager sent over a marvellous cross for the powerful Greshon to nod home.