Second half fight-back sees Berwick triumph at Linlithgow

Linlithgow 21-16 Berwick RFC

Monday, 18th September 2017, 09:06 am
Updated Monday, 18th September 2017, 09:18 am

Berwick, after a series of delays arrived late for their game against Linlithgow and the kick-off was delayed for 15 minutes.

After a longer warm up session Linlithgow, from the kick-off immediately put prolonged pressure on the Berwick line. With the pressure being applied it was almost inevitable that a penalty would be conceded and after only 3 minutes the Blacks found themselves 3 points down with the Linlithgow number 10 converting a penalty in front of the posts.

Berwick have conceded a number of tries already this season resulting from poor clearance kicks and misdirected kicks and it was no different this week with a poor kick being snapped up by Linlithgow who moved the ball swiftly along the line before their number 10 chipped through the Berwick line to score a converted try between the posts to give the home side a 10 –0 lead.

Credit to this young Berwick side who never let their heads go down and from a great steal by Geoff Logan at a Linlithgow line-out, a series of great passing rugby saw Lee Douglas score an excellent try between the posts that Jamie Pick converted to make the score 10 -7.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Straight from the kick-off however, Berwick conceded another penalty which made the score 13-7 and with only a minute left of the first half possession was again gifted to Linlithgow who scored an unconverted try in the corner to give the home side an 18 – 7 lead at half time.

From the kick-off Berwick took the game to Linlithgow and from a line-out on the Linlithgow 22 the forwards drove through allowing Gareth Clark to touch down with Pick converting to make the score 18-14. Berwick were then dealt a blow when Pick was shown a Yellow Card.

Fourteen man Berwick however continued to pressurise Linlithgow and after another forward drive Gareth Clark went over to score in the corner which was converted by Shane Armstrong to give Berwick an 18-21 lead.

In the 71st minute Berwick once again crossed the Linlithgow line. After another fine Berwick line-out the forwards once again drove the ball before the ball was popped to Cammy Rogerson who crossed the line to score an unconverted try in the corner and give Berwick a four try bonus point and an eight point lead.

Linlithgow tried to force their way back into the game and in the dying minutes opted to take a penalty kick which was converted to make the final score 21-26 to Berwick.

Coach Colin Young and Team Manager Owen Weatherhead were delighted with the performance and the spirit shown by the Berwick team. Choosing the Man of the Match after such a team display was difficult, however, it was awarded to Geoff Logan who had one of his finest games in a Berwick jersey.

Surprisingly the Berwick supporters nearly outnumbered the home support so thank you to everyone who made the journey.

Berwick’s next game is at home to league leaders Hawick Harlequins on September 30.

Blyth 2nds 19

Berwick Bears 28

Berwick opened strongly against Blyth with a Darren Goodfellow try.

Two other tries followed from Duncan Lough and Allan Middleton, but all were unconverted.

Just before half time Blyth added the best try of the half with good handling and support play, and this was converted to make it 7-15 at the break.

Blyth then had the upper hand at the start of the second half with two tries, one converted to lead 19-15.

Middleton then added a penalty to reduce the score to 19-18 and the game was in the melting pot.

Berwick then relised that if they moved the ball to their speedy back they could win the game.A brace from Aidan Rosie eventually gave the Bears victory.