Sale of Fenwick hall to be discussed
Fenwick Village Hall is set to be sold because of rising maintenance costs and lack of sustainable community use.
The recommendation has reluctantly been made, after long and careful consideration, by Fenwick Village Hall trustees and management committee.
The trustees have taken legal advice and have notified the Charity Commissioners of their intentions but, as part of the sale process, they are to present their recommendations to a public meeting at the hall on August 4 at 7pm.
More than two years have passed since the committee started a concerted effort to reawaken the hall in the hope of delivering value to the parish. Sadly this has been unsuccessful and members decided in March that to merely carry on with the status-quo was not an option.
Anyone with an interest in the hall’s future is welcome at the meeting and further background information on why the hall is being recommended for sale can be obtained from the website www.fenwickvillagehall.org.uk
Fenwick, in its early days, was part of the Haggerston estate, which covered several square miles. It consisted of 18 houses, a school, blacksmith’s shop, bothy and reading room, sweet shop and general dealers. The occupants of the houses were estate workers from the Haggerston estate. The workers were all tradesmen; joiners, plumbers, gamekeepers and foresters, or carters.
The hall was donated to the village in 1930s; prior to that it, was known as the Fenwick Institute and Reading Room.
It is thought that the building was originally a grain store, used by the workmen who planted Kyloe Woods from about 1897 onwards. The reading room was gifted by Captain Leyland to the people of Fenwick.