Rovers' return is a successful one after Robson Cup victory

Robson Cup FinalSpittal Rovers 1-0 Ashington Central

Monday, 25th April 2016, 3:58 pm
Updated Monday, 25th April 2016, 5:09 pm

Spittal took the first silverware of the season after a second half free kick from Jamie Punton gave them the win over Ashington.

Spittal goalkeeper Rob Hodgson turned in a motm display and Ashington will count themselves unlucky after twice striking the woodwork during the game.

For Rovers, however, it was their first silverware after being reformed and returning to the North Northumberland League at the start of the season.


Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Tweedmouth Rangers 2

North Sunderland 2

N Sunderland won on pens

A fourth minute goal from Garet Pearson gave the visitors a dream start and they held the lead till half time.

Tweedmouth drew level after 70 minutes when Jonathan Brown scored direct from a free kick to send the game into extra time.

In the first period of extra time neither team could break the deadlock but in the second period Jonathan Simpson scored to give the home club the lead.

The lead was short lived as two minutes later Stephen Rutter netted an equaliser for the visitors.

With no further goals before the final whistle it was North Sunderland who held their nerve to win the penalty shoot out 5-4.


Amble St Cuthbert 0

Alnwick Town Res 7

Amble were the better side in the opening stages but once Alnwick scored they went on to complete a comfortable victory.

Four goals ahead at the interval, they continued to press after the break, adding another three befour the final whistle.

Jake Morrison scored four with Lee Dundas, Stephen Hutchins and Gareth McCann also on the scoresheet.


Lowick United 2

Ashington West End 1

During the first 45 Ashington matched their First Division hosts as the half ended goaless.

In the second half Lowick went ahead through a Grant Leiper goal and doubled the advantage with a second goal from Shahab Ali.

Ashington pulled a goal back when Samuel Wake scored from the penalty spot but Lowick held on for the win .

Rothbury 3

Craster Rovers 1

A Greg Woodburn goal separated the teams at half time and further goals from Craig Sutton and Paul Morgan extended the lead during the second half .

Craster pulled a goal back when Lee Pattinson scored but it was to little to late for the visitors .

Wooler 3

Springhill 1

A Thomas Allan goal separated the teams at half time and two goals from Kyle Jeffrey extended the lead after half time before Liam Robson scored for the visitors after 75 minutes .


Breakers bedlington 2

Belford 1

Robert Watt had given Breakers a half time lead with a Michael Freathy goal doubling the advantage in the second half .

Belford pulled a goal back when Kevin Greshon netted late in the half .


Embleton 2

Tweedmouth Harrow 3

Harrow are closing in on the top of the Division after this win. Craig Anderson gave Harrow a half time lead but Embleton hit back through Chris Chisholm and Jake Wilkin with Anderson and Burgon netting the winner.