Rangers rocked as Clyde snatch controversial late penalty win

Berwick Rangers 0-1 Clyde

Monday, 12th February 2018, 08:41 am
Updated Monday, 12th February 2018, 08:46 am

A controversial injury-time penalty from David Goodwillie earned Clyde victory with the last kick of the game at Shielfield on Saturday

The win lifted the Broadwood side above Rangers in the Scottish League 2 table, leaving Berwick with only one win in their last nine games, two in 13.

The spot kick was awarded in the 93rd minute when defender Robert Wilson was adjudged to have fouled Goodwillie.

The former Scotland striker picked himself up and took the kick himself, but there was controversy when he appeared to stop before the kick, kicking the ball into the opposite corner after goalkeeper Robbie McCrorie had already committed himself.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

With Ousman See and Kevin McKinlay unavailable and Gary Phillips and Kieran Stewart both suspended, manager Robbie Horn was limited in his options with regards to team selection, not the ideal situation for a side

After a slow start Clyde started to get into their stride and Berwick keeper Robbie McCrorie had to make three smart saves in the space of five minutes on the quarter hour mark to deny Barry Cuddihy, Chris McStay and David Goodwillie.

The first two were turned around for corners, with the third a block from close range as he rushed to narrow the angle on the former Scotland striker.

Rangers, with only Jack Hamilton up front, lacked a cutting edge and it was 30 minutes before they created even half a chance when a long free kick to the back post was headed across the goal.

And on 40 minutes Steven Thomson tried his luck from distance, Blair Currie getting down low to make the save.

Early in the second half Thomson had a free kick which he hit straight at the keeper after being fouled on the edge of the box.

In general play was fragmented and both sides struggled to carve out opportunities in front of goal.

On 77 minutes Thomson tried to inject some life into proceedings when he took a pass from substitute Aaron Murrell and let fly with a shot from the left side of the box, but the effort was always going high.

Mark Lamont then fired over for Clyde with a volley from a corner with only five minutes remaining and Kevin Nicholl headed narrowly wide from another corner at the back post, before the dramatic ending.

It was three minuites into injury time when Goodwillie was fouled. A penalty was awarded, and Goodwillie stepped up to take it himself.

He slipped/stopped, McCrorie dived to his left and the striker slotted the ball into the opposite corner.

Goodwillie later admitted he had slipped, but the referee allowed the controversial goal, with the very last kick of the game, to stand.

Berwick: McCrorie, Orru, Wilson, Todd, Cook, Notman, Thomson, Willis, O’Kane, Lavery, Hamilton (Murrell 70).

Clyde: Currie, Lang (Duffie 46), Cogill, McNiff, Home, Lamont, Cuddihy, Nicholl, Goodwillie, McStay (Grant 75) Millar (Boyle 57).