Rangers guaranteed an eighth place finish in final league table

Berwick Rangers have enjoyed a successful week, four points from two games guaranteeing them an eighth place finish in the final Scottish Division 2 table.

Wednesday, 25th April 2018, 08:53 am
Updated Wednesday, 25th April 2018, 08:54 am

On Saturday Rangers beat basement side Cowdenbeath 1-0 at Shielfield, and on Tuesday, in a re-arranged game, they held promotion play-off hopefuls Stenhousemuir to a 2-2 draw.

With one game to play, away to Clyde on Saturday, the Borderers have now leapfrogged Edinburgh City and cannot be overtaken.

“Eighth is maybe better than we might have hoped for a few weeks agoi,” said manager Robbie Horn. “Now I just want us to try and finish on a high against Clyde.”

Berwick made a brigfht start to Tuesday’s game with Declan O’Kane rattling the post after only five minutes.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Jack Hamilton gave them the lkead after 28 minutes when he followed up a Steven Thomson shot and found the top corner of the net.

It was 2-0 only five minutes later when Paul Willis shot low past Stenny keeper Chris Smith after Hamilton poked the ball through to him.

but the visitors rallied and two goals in four minutes meant they turned around level at 2-2.

First of all Andrew Dallas headed in from close range after 39 minutes, and on 43 minutes Colin McMenamin also netted from close in following a cross from Dallas on the right.

In the second half Stenny pressed for a winner, looking for the extra points to guarantee their top four finish. They put Rangers under a lot of pressure towards the end but could not find a way through the home defence.

Horn said afterwards: “It was disappointing not to win after being 2-0 up. We were under the cosh towards the end, but we managed to hold on.

“Earlier in the season that was a game we probably would have lost, so all credit to the players for that.”

* On Saturday a goal from central defender Jamie Todd saw Berwick complete the clean sweep over basement side Cowdenbeath at sunny Shielfield.

It was Rangers’ fourth win of the season over the relegation play-off bound Fifers and was only their second victory in their past 20 league encounters, the other being against the same opposition.

The first half provided little by way of goalmouth action, although Berwick were the more attack minded of the two sides, with Jordan Orru threatening down the left.

Rangers took the lead in the 12th minute when a Darren Lavery corner found a way to the back post where Jamie Todd headed in from close range.

The game had a typical end of season feel to it with Cowden rarely threatening.

Substitute Steven Thomson had a close range effort blocked by the visiting goalkeeper, Robert Wilson also went close and Declan O’Kane hit a shot from the edge of the box straight at David McGurn.

After the game a delighted manager Robbie Horn said: “It’s been a long time coming. I am just pleased we got the win as it gets the monkey off our back.”