Rangers go down to last minute defeat

Berwick Rangers 2-3 Clyde

Monday, 1st October 2018, 3:27 pm
Updated Monday, 1st October 2018, 3:31 pm

Berwick manager Robbie Horn admitted to being extremely disappointed after watching his side surrender a 2-0 half-time lead as Clyde fought back for a dramatic last minute win at Shielfield on Saturday.

The defeat leaves Rangers only two points above bottom of the table Albion Rovers, and Horn says he is hoping the addition of a number of new faces to the squad will give the team the boost it needs to kick-start their season.

“Naturally I am extremely disappointed to lose that one,” he said. “2-0 up at half-time we knew Clyde would come at us, because they have some quality players. Lack of concentration at the start has cost us dearly. There might have been a hint of offside in the build-up to their winning goal in the last minute, but again, it’s small margins, and I think all we need sometimes is a little bit of luck, a decision to go our way at a vital stage and it could make all the difference.

“We have brought four new players in over the past week or so, that means competition for places, and I think that is important as it will keep everyone on their toes.”

Berwick started with Aidan McIlduff making his home debut and three new signings, Maciej Dabrowski, Chris Hamilton and Greg Hurst all on the bench.

There was little between the sides in the opening quarter of an hour, with neither keeper being tested.

Then on 17 minutes David Goodwillie found a gap on the edge of the box for Clyde and managed to get in a shot which rebounded off the inside of Sean Brennan’s right hand post.

Just two minutes later Daryl Healy pulled a shot across the Clyde goal from an acute angle.

The opening goal came for Rangers in the 27th minute when Healy played Scott through the middle and the striker sidestepped his marker before confidently shooting low into the bottom corner past Blair Currie.

On 37 minutes Brennan made his first real save of the game when he got down to smother a Barry Cuddihy shot.

Berwick then doubled their lead on 40 minutes when Gary Phillips made a strong run through the middle and set up Ogilvie who cooly slotted past Currie to mske it 2-0 at half-time.

But Clyde hit back with two goals in the first nine minutes in the second half and suddenly the sides were level again.

Just a minute after the restart the Bully Wee caught Rangers cold when Goodwillie netted from close range after the ball was cut into the box from the left by Martin McNiff.

And after Mark Lamont blazed wide, substitute Belmokhtar levelled it up at 2-2 when Robert Wilson lost possession in the opposition half and Clyde broke quickly.

Minutes later, Goodwillie almost gave Clyde the lead when he broke through the middle but dragged his shot inches wide of the post past an outstretched Brennan.

As Danny Lennon’s side continued to press Brennan went full stretch to deny John Rankin with a shot from outside the box.

In a dramatic finale Belmokhtar forced a last minute winner from close range after Rangers’ keeper Brennan made a fine double save.

“Next week we go to Edinburgh City who are currently top of the table, so it doesn’t get any easier for us,” said Horn, “but we have shown over the past couple of weeks that we can compete with the top sides in this league, all we need is a little break somewhere along the line.”