Rangers fight but no points off Peterhead

Berwick Rangers 2-3 Peterhead

Tuesday, 30th January 2018, 10:27 pm
Updated Tuesday, 30th January 2018, 10:31 pm

Peterhead narrowed the gap on league leaders Montrose to only one point when they beat Berwick at Shielfield on Tuesday, but not without surviving a scare.

Jim McInally’s side led 2-0 with goals from David McCracken and Rory McAllister, with a penalty, but Berwick battled back to level with goals from strike pair Jack Hamilton and Ousman See before Jack Leitch netted a winner midway through the second half.

Peterhead, who had suffered a shock defeat against Clyde on Saturday, opened the scoring after 15 minutes when a William Gibson corner was met with a powerful header by McCracken which Robby McCrorie managed to get a hand to but was unable to prevent it going in at his right hand post.

But there was a set-back for the visitors on 24 minutes when Jamie Stevenson limped off after pulling up with what appeared to be a hamstring problem, and he was replaced by Jordan Brown.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

On 27 minutes Berwick had their first serious attempt on goal when Steven Thomson fired narrowly wide from a free kick.

Peterhead doubled their lead on 41 minutes when McAllister netted from the penalty spot after Jordan Brown was fouled in the box by Oliver Fleming, but just two minutes later, Rangers pulled a goal back when 17 year-old Hamilton slotted home for his second in two games following his signing on loan from Livingston.

At the start of the second half See fired a ball across the face of the Peterhead goal but there were no takers. Peterhead broke straight upfield and McCrorie had to make a good save to deny Jordan Brown. Gibson then fired in a free kick straight at McCrorie, but on 52 minutes Rangers managed to carve out an equaliser when Gary Phillips crossed from deep on the left and See patiently waited for the ball to fall into his path before picking his spot.

And there was a further blow for the ‘Head side when Nicky Riley was stretchered off after 59 minutes and Russell McLean was introduced.

On 68 minutes Stevie Notman got in a low shot which was saved by Greg Fleming with his feet.

However, on 71 minutes Peterhead grabbed their third goal when Leitch turned the ball in from close range after McAllister played the ball into his feet from the left.

After the game Berwick manager Robbie Horn said he was disappointed to lose the match, believing Rangers might have had a penalty themselves for hand ball in injury time.

He praised his players for the character they showed in fighting back from 2-0 down and said the arrival of strike pair See and Hamilton, who have scored four goals in the last two games, had given the side a fresh impetus.