Preparations for another busy year

I am back from holiday this week and I will have plenty to do this month.

By The Newsroom
Saturday, 06 February, 2016, 10:47

All the hedgehogs that have been sponsored will have to be photographed again and an update of their progress sent to their sponsor.

The sponsorship has helped us a great deal with the costs of keeping so many hogs over the winter.

We are also very lucky to have so many supporters bringing in food for them.

Hedgehogs are still coming in.

I think some must be waking up too soon as the weather has been so mild.

Hedgehogs out in the wild must have suffered greatly this winter with all the rain.

I fear that many will have had their nests just washed away.

The hedgehog with the sore ear is slowly improving.

Infections like this are quite slow to heal so it keeps us busy having to clean and medicate on a daily basis.

I have been looking through old photographs to find ones suitable for our 2017 calendar.

I know it seems early, but we are so busy in the spring and summer that we run out of time so this year we are planning early.

We have so many photographs, it is difficult to choose the best ones so that we show the variety of wildlife that we deal with.

We have had more casualties than ever in 2015, and a 25 per cent increase in mammals, most of which were hedgehogs.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

We are planning the spring cleaning schedule too.

How long this efficiency will last only time will tell. We are usually having to muddle through as best we can.

A couple of weeks ago Kay collected a swan from a field. It had a horrible wound on its side.

There seemed to be two holes, each the size of a 50 pence piece. One of the wounds is very deep. We think it may have been a bite wound, possibly from a fox.

The swan was taken straight to the vet where the wound was cleaned and the bird prescribed an antibiotic and a pain-killer.

She is eating well and is coping with her injury very well.

I’m sure she would like a bath, but she is not allowed to get the wound wet.

David called in a few days later and cleaned the wound under anaesthetic and checked it out.

He gave us the good news then that we have to clean the wounds out ourselves on a daily basis.

It must be very sore for the swan, but she is very good.

It takes very nearly an hour to clean up the wound and soften the crusty edges. We don’t want to anaesthetise the bird every day so we are doing it as carefully as we can.

She was to have been seen by the vet again 10 days after writing this article, when we hoped he would have been able to close and stitch the wound.

I went on holiday just as the 10 days were up so I will have to update readers on the progress next week.