Point for Colts, but Tweedmouth well beaten in Border Amateur

Berwick Colts 3-3 Duns Amateurs

Tuesday, 24th January 2017, 11:52 am
Updated Tuesday, 24th January 2017, 11:55 am

This Border derby took just three minutes to explode into life and it was League leaders Duns who opened the scoring when a cross from the right somehow found its way to Robertson who scuffed his effort in from close range.

Berwick had a great chance to hit back when Briggs,Laidlaw and Aitchison were all denied by brilliant goalkeeping from Smith before the crossbar came to Duns aid.

Duns went on to extend their lead on 15 minutes when Robertson was fouled from behind by Meakin and the Duns top scorer picked himself up to dispatch the spot kick despite Hastie guessing right and getting a glove on it.

From the moment the second goal was conceded the young Colts took the game by the scruff of the neck and were back in touch on 25 minutes when Brown shielded the ball with his back to goal before laying off to Caine Laidlaw who smashed an unstoppable low drive in off the post.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

On the half hour mark it was Berwicks turn to win a penalty when the impressive Laidlaw was clipped in the box and Strang stepped up to confidently smash the spot kick right in the top corner.

Berwick’s midfield were now well on top and Strang played in Briggs who added a spectacular third when his long range audacious effort from an acute angle found it’s way in off the crossbar.

After conceding three goals in 12 minutes Duns came out fired up and with 12 second half minutes played Robertson was denied his hat trick when he spectacularly scooped an effort over the bar from point blank range with no one near him.

Duns were now controlling most of the play but they still looked vulnerable at the back but Smith in goal came out to deny his namesake with an outstanding reaction save.Berwick almost grabbed a fortuitous fourth when Smith cleared a ball only to hit a Berwick players back and the ball seemed to be heading into the empty net only to squirm past the post.

Duns’ experience and pressure finally paid off with 20 minutes remaining when they broke down the left before cutting inside where Tait was on hand to smash the ball in from close range.

Duns had a chance to score with ten minutes remaining but new signing Steven Hastie came to the rescue with a fine reaction save with his feet.With two minutes remaining Berwick could have grabbed the winner when Smith found himself in the clear but the Duns stopper raced off his line to deny the winner with a lunging tackle.The last chance of the game fell Berwicks way a last minute corner from Strang was headed goalward by Meakin but Berwicks nemesis Smith plucked it out the air and an entertaining game ended with honours even.

Match sponsor: Greame Dytor Plastering and Roofing.

Ball sponsor: David Murray and Tracey Coote



Tweedmouth slumped to another defeat going down to fellow strugglers Jed Legion.

Tweedmouth were looking to make a fast start, to capitalise on the visitors’ heavy defeat to Chirnside the previous week and they got just what they wanted, taking the lead when a Jenkins shot from outside the box found the top corner.

The joy was short lived however when slack marking from a set piece allowed the visitors to equalise.

The home team thought they were harshly treated not once but twice.

Firstly, Wood was brought down by the goalkeeper when through on goal. The verdict, to the disbelief of the Amateurs was a free kick and a yellow card.

Then less than five minutes later, the same striker was brought down again by the central defender, again the last man, but the result was the same yellow card.

Instead of being down to nine men, the visitors kept their full compliment.

To add insult to injury Jed then took the lead and with almost the last kick of the half added a third to knock the stuffing out of the Amateurs.

In an attempt to get something out of the game Tweedmouth sacrificed a defender in the second half, hoping that the extra attacker would bring more scoring opportunities. But try as they might,

Tweedmouth could not make any headway. Things went from bad to worse when Jed added two more, taking a vital three points from the game to lift them up the table.

Match sponsors: Wot A Clip and Greencast.

Tweedmouth’s next game is away to Greenlaw in the A division on Saturday.