A boost for EV infrastructure in Berwick

Initial locations for a project to install some on-street residential charge points for electric vehicles (EVs) in Northumberland include Berwick.

Thursday, 17th June 2021, 4:45 pm
Coun Glen Sanderson, leader of Northumberland County Council.
Coun Glen Sanderson, leader of Northumberland County Council.

County councillors have formally agreed on an expected external funding of £115,337 from the Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV).

Road transport accounts for 33 per cent of CO2 in Northumberland according to the most recent report from the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy in 2018.

There are currently no on-street charging points in the county.

Seven sites have been identified as ideal locations to install the first charging points. They include Alnwick, Ashington Bellingham, Corbridge, Felton and Haltwhistle, in addition to Berwick.

County council leader Glen Sanderson said: “We are eager to invest in EV infrastructure across the county and are looking at ways in which we can overcome the barriers our residents face when switching to electric transport.

“Those residents without off-street parking do not currently have a convenient way to charge an EV if they were to purchase one. This investment will lead the way in solving this issue.”

Following this formal agreement of the cabinet, the council intends to submit an application to OZEV for the Government funding element of the On-Street Residential Chargepoint Scheme.

If successful, the funding will cover 75 per cent of the project costs, with the council matching remaining 25 per cent of costs projected.