McKenna sees red as Rangers lose at rain-soaked Shielfield

Berwick Rangers 1-2 Forfar Athletic

Monday, 22nd August 2016, 15:16 pm
Updated Monday, 22nd August 2016, 16:18 pm
Berwick Rangers Fooball Club Crest

Forfar maintained their 100 per cent start to their league campaign with a hard fought win at Berwick on Saturday.

A fantastic strike from Kevin Milne and a second from Josh Peters put the visitors in control at rain-lashed Shielfield Park.

Although Berwick fought hard and pulled one back thanks to the ever-dangerous Jordyn Sheerin it proved to be a consolation.

Forfar looked the more dangerous early on, especially on the counter attack.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A misplaced head put Lister through on seven minutes and he should perhaps have done better before being squeezed out.

However, the visitors didn’t have long to wait before getting the breakthrough when Milne found himself in space on the left edge of the box. He cut inside and curled a beautiful right-footed shot into the top corner of the net giving Walker no chance.

Berwick were rattled and nearly went further behind three minutes later when Peters found himself in loads of room but dithered and his shot was blocked.

On the quarter hour Berwick created their first good chance when Sheerin fired narrowly wide after good work by Walker.

Three minutes later he went even closer with a thunderbolt of an effort from 25 yards out which cannoned off the bar.

The visitors continued to cause problems on the break though with Peters again going close on 22 minutes.

Sheerin went close again a minute later when the ball broke to him in the inside right channel but his shot was saved.

Forfar wasted a great chance to double their lead on 34 minutes when Lister rounded the keeper and pulled it back only for Martin the clear the goalbound effort.

Berwick started the second half brightly and Notman fired straight at Adam after finding space in the box.

However, they fell two behind in bizarre circumstances on 55 minutes when a seemingly innocuous cross found its way to Peters via Lee Hamilton and he prodded it into the net.

Any thoughts that heads would drop were quickly dispelled though with Berwick mounting a stream of attacks on the Forfar goal.

On the hour the on-rushing Walker fired just wide when well placed but they had to wait just three minutes for the goal to come, Sheerin finding space at the back post and firing a firm shot past Adam.

Walker then had Adam scrambling as his header went narrowly wide.

Sub Darren Lavery went close within minutes of his introduction, firing over from the edge of the area.

But Forfar almost grabbed a third on the counter attack after 75 minutes when Lister went through with only the keeper to beat only to find Walker stand firm to block his effort.

As the game ebbed away, Michael McKenna then saw red on 87 minutes for a lunging tackle on David Cox which produced a second yellow.

Berwick Rangers: Kevin Walker, Lee Hamilton (Lavery, 60) Kevin Mckinlay, Steven Notman, Brian Martin, Robert Wilson, Steven Thomson, Ben Stirling, Allan Walker (Hogg, 77), Michael McKenna, Jordyn Sheerin.

Forfar Athletic: Grant Adam, Murray Mackintosh, Jamie Bain (Smith, 69), Andy Munro, Stuart Malcolm, Thomas O’Brien, Josh Peters (Scott, 69) Kevin Milne, Jim Lister, Gavin Swankie, David Cox.

Referee: Steven Reid.

Attendance: 421.