Horn says there were positives in defeat

Berwick Rangers 0-3 Airdrieonians

Monday, 23rd July 2018, 11:09 am
Updated Monday, 23rd July 2018, 11:42 am

Berwick manager Robbie Horn said there were positives to be taken from Saturday’s 3-0 home defeat at the hands of Airdrieonians in the League Cup group,stages.

It was Rangers’ second reverse in the competition following a disappointing 4-0 loss at Annan in midweek and Horn said: “There was a marked improvement from the Anaan game and that is the important thing.

“Yes, we have been conceding a lot of goals, but we will be judged on how we do in the league come the start of August and that is what we are working towards. We won’t be coming up against teams of the quality of Airdrie every week that’s for certain.

“The manner in which we conceded the goals was disappointing from our point of view, but I thought we started the game well and had a couple of chances ourselves.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Goals from Sean Crighton, Darryl Duffy and substitute Leigton McIntosh gave the first division side a comfortable victory over their second division opponents.

Berwick made a bright start and Paul Willis got in behind the visiting defence and pulled a shot across the face of the goal, whilst Robert Wilson headed over from a corner.

But it was Airdrieonians who broke the deadlock after 20 minutes when a corner from the left was headed in by Crighton, who stole in at the back post to net from six yards out.

They doubled their advantage after 36 minutes when a cross-shot from Scott Stewart was met by Duffy who slid in at the back post and netted from almost on the line.

Just 15 seconds into the second half Duffy almost put the game beyond Berwick’s reach when a shot from 12 yards out came back off a post and minutes later Sean Brennan had to go full stretch to deny Kieran MacDonald.

As Stephen Findlay’s side tried to stamp their authority on the match they had two claims for penalties for hand ball turned aside by the referee before the third goal eventually came courtesy of McIntosh after 76 minutes when he prodded the ball home from close range after it fell for him inside the box after another sub, Jonathan Page, created the opening on the edge of the area.

Horn said: “The better team won, there is no question about that. We still have two very tough games in this competition coming up against Hamilton and Livingston and hopefully we will have at least one new face in the squad for the home match against Hamilton on Tuesday.”

Berwick: Brennan, Fleming, Orru, Wilson, Todd, O’Kane, Willis, Cook, Phillips (Murphy 71), Healy (Jack 87), Murrell (Rose 68).

Bookings: O’Kane 78 (foul);

Airdrieonians: Gallacher, Robertson, MacDonald, Crighton, Gallagher, Millar, Stewart (Page 46), Conroy (Wilkie 73), Duffy, Carrick (McIntosh 62), Edwards.


Referee: Scott Millar.

Attendance: 389