As hogs wake the hard work starts

Last week Tom, one of our volunteers from Eildon Care in Duns, left me an article he had written for the jottings.

Saturday, 4th March 2017, 10:51 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 9:46 am

I am including it here, although it is a little out of date, because the buzzard he writes about had to be put to sleep but it is a very informative article so here it is.

Buzzards are the most common and widespread bird of prey in the UK.

Their call is sometimes mistaken for that of a cat.

The David Rollo Centre had a buzzard in one Friday when I went to help.

It had been found in Wooler.

It had an infection and was being treated and if that works it will recover.

I could not get a photo of it because it needed to be kept quiet.

I really like Buzzards.

The Swan Trust rescues a lot of swans although they only had one when I was there. It had lead poisoning.

The poisoning had caused the swan not to be able to hold its neck, which meant it was not able to eat properly.

It is having injections and hopefully this will help it to start eating soon.

Lead poisoning is sometimes caused by fishermen leaving lead weights.

These weights can be very dangerous for all wildlife. Here is a picture of the swan I saw.

Thank you Tom for this article.

To update you on the swan, we have had new blood tests done, which show the levels coming down nicely but it is still at double the safe level, so another course of injections was prescribed.

It is eating well and enjoying the pond. We think it liked having the company of the Muscovy.

We had two more swans admitted this week.

The eyemouth cygnets have all been chased off except one, who was given a severe beating by his parents on Friday.

Kay went off and fetched him in.

We are giving the bird a couple of days bed and breakfast to get over the upset and we will release him on the Tweed.

He is a very strong healthy young bird at over eight kilos.

The RSPCA also brought up a swan from Chester-le-Street – another of last year’s cygnets.

This one is very tiny (only six kilos) and not very strong.

It has been treated by a vet for over a week and has come to us for rest and recuperation, but we are worried that the bird holds his neck quite far back so we are taking it to have a blood test on Monday to check that it has normal lead levels.

So its back to buckets of bread and grain and hosing down the pond.

Thank goodness it’s not quite so cold now.

Our work load is starting to increase now as hibernating hogs are waking up so it’s more bowls to wash and fill and beds to clean.

Next week I’ll tell you all about our plans for our 25th celebrations.