Historic church is ready to let the sunshine in
The congregation at St Anne's Church in Ancroft has finally seen the light '“ after new windows were installed.
Old windows in the 11th century church, glazed with large sheets of obscured plate glass, have been replaced with clear glass, made in the style of the traditional leaded light design.
The work has been carried out by conservation specialists Borderdale Stained Glass, run by Morpeth-based Simon Harvey, formerly of Scremerston.
Ruth Turner, of the Parochial Church Council, said: “The new windows will enhance this old building, which was built by the Holy Island monks over 800 years ago.
“The design will seek to reflect the style, scale and proportions of the church within the surrounding environment.”
A fund-raising effort by the church over the past 12 months has enabled the work to be done.
Many of the old windows, as well as being rather unattractive, were damaged, cracked and leaking.
Simon, who trained at Salisbury Cathedral and specialises in glass painting technique, made the new windows in his workshop.
In recent years he has also done work at Berwick Parish Church, Newcastle Cathedral and Ford Parish Church to name but a few.
St Anne’s Church is known to date from at least 1145, when it is mentioned in a document issued by Pope Eugenius III confirming Lindisfarne Priory’s possession of the church and its lands. However, it is thought it was most likely built either a little before or just after the Norman Conquest of 1066.
The church belongs to the parish of Ancroft, joined with Lowick and Kyloe and Ford and Etal.
A flower festival is being held next Sunday (July 31) to mark the completion of the project.
The well-known Border Tarts Choir will sing at 2pm and 3pm and the event concludes with evening praise at 6.30pm to incorporate a special service of dedication for the new windows. There will be coffee, tea, scones, cakes, filled rolls and a glazz of fizz afterwards. All are welcome.