Hill treble touch-down as the Blacks extend unbeaten run

Berwick RFC 59-7 North Berwick

Tuesday, 16th October 2018, 10:26 am
Updated Tuesday, 16th October 2018, 10:27 am

With no game last week due to the structure of the league Berwick were keen to get game time under their belt before next week’s local derby against Duns.

Berwick started brightly and fly half Jack Webster finished off a series of moves which created space in the middle which Webster was able to use to the full by breaking past the defence to touch down. Andrew Skeen added the extra points to make it 7-0 after as many minutes.

North Berwick again took the ball to the home side but yet again couldn’t find the necessary cutting edge and with a sense of déjà vu Berwick went back up the pitch to score another well worked try. This time it was winger Gareth Hill who was the beneficiary of some good controlled possession to create the gap which Hill was able to exploit. Skeen missed the conversion from near the touchline but Berwick were 12-0 up and looking in control.

The third try came along mid-way through the first half and this time it was more of an individual effort as centre Duncan Hardie scored. Hardie beat not just one man, not just two men but three defenders were left grasping at air as he jinked his way through to score near the posts. The conversion was added by Skeen and Berwick were 19-0 up.

The bonus point try was scored after 25 minutes as Hill doubled his tally with a similar score to his first. Skeen added the conversion and Berwick were 26-0 up and with the game looking as if it was won before half time.

However North Berwick showed that they didn’t think the game was over and fought back to mount some sustained pressure of their own and their hard work and commitment combined with their dogged attitude saw them score a deserved try. With the conversion being added by the scorer – Ben Moffat – the half time whistle blew with Berwick leading 26-7.

The heavens opened at the beginning of the second half and Berwick took the opportunity of a comfortable lead to bring on all of the substitutes to give them game time.

Aidan Rosie was one of the players brought on and in playing at inside centre he provided pace and strength and earned himself a try. Having been a regular scorer in the second team this season so far, he plucked a loose pass up and set off like Billy Whizz down the pitch bursting past the last defender to score a fine try. The conversion as good from Skeen and Berwick led 33-7.

Having got the taste of scoring Rosie added to his tally within minutes but this was built by the pack as they created the narrowest of spaces with some good drives from Euan Thompson and Stuart Gilchrist which saw the narrowest of lines for Rosie to pick up and score from two yards out right on the touchline. Skeen scored a peach of a conversion, given the angle, to make it 40-7.

The weather got worse as the mist started to roll in and the next score eventually came with the match moving into the last ten minutes of play and it came from Rory Hindhaugh. The conversion was missed to make it 45-7.

The half century was secured with a good piece of rugby from one of the other substitutes – Jack Dalrymple. The score came from a lovely piece of running from the backs which saw Dalrymple step off his left leg to cut back inside to make the incisive break for 50-7. Skeen added the extras to make it 52-7.

With time running out there was just enough time for Hill to bag his hat trick. A penalty on one side of the pitch was quickly taken and kicked across field where Hill allowed the ball to bounce high enough in the air to make it a simple catch and run to score his third try. As Skeen’s conversion sailed over the bar the referee blew for time.