Harvey hopes win can be a launch-pad

Elgin City 2-4 Berwick Rangers

Monday, 12th November 2018, 11:52 am
Updated Monday, 12th November 2018, 12:49 pm
Berwick Rangers Fooball Club Crest

Berwick manager Johnny Harvey was in jubilant mood after watching his side win their first league game under his charge.

After two league defeats following his appointment, it was a case of third time lucky for Harvey who said afterwards: “That’s a monkey off our back. Hopefully we can now build on this and go on to win a few more games and start to climb the table.”

Rangers remain in ninth place in Scottish League 2, but more importantly, they opened up a five point lead over basement side Albion Rovers as a result of their victory.

Berwick now face Albion at home on Saturday so the importance of the Elgin win cannot be over emphasised.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Paul Willis scored twice for Berwick (once in each half) with two trialists also netting.

In many respects it was a first half smash and gran raid which handed Berwick a 0-2 interval lead.

Elgin started the brighter of the two sides and created a number of chances before Willis fired Rangers in front with their first attacking move after 26 minute netting on the break after being set up by a trialist.

Rangers then doubled their lead on 33 minutes when Willis repaid the compliment and set up one of two trialists in the starting line-up for a second goal.

Sutherland (twice) and Greg Morrison all went close as Elgin continued to find little luck in front of goal and at half-time Berwick led 0-2.

Early in the second half Daryl Healy shot over for Rangers, but Rabin Omar, Sutherland and Jon Paul McGovern all went close before City finally pulled a goal back after 64 minutes when McGovern found the net from close range after being set up by Declan Byrne.

Just three minutes later Berwick restored their two goal advantage when a trialist slotted in a left foot shot to make it 1-3.

Omar again shot wide for Elgin before Daryl McHardy bagged a second for the home side on 72 minutes, Brian Cameron providing the assist.

It set up a nervy final quarter of an hour, but on 78 minutes Willis struck again, finding the corner of the net with a well placed free kick.

Again Elgin tried to respond with Sutherland having two shots blocked, whilst Craig Beattie headed wide from a corner, but Rangers held out for the win.

“This was an important win for us,” said Harvey. “We have been knocking at the door in recent games, but we finally got the breaks we needed and this is a morale-boosting victory for everyone connected with the club.

“It was all about getting the three points, just like it is in any game, but it’s all about building confidence and hopefully this is what this result will give us.

“If we can go on a run from here there is no reason why we shouldn’t start to climb the table.”