Harrow win through to face Highfields in Collie Cup Final

Tweedmouth Harrow reached the final of the Collie Cup in the Border Amateur League on Saturday, but not without a fight.

Monday, 15th October 2018, 1:38 pm
Updated Monday, 15th October 2018, 1:42 pm

The Berwick side finally managed to overcome Selkirk Victoria 5-4 in 90 action-packed minutes at the Billendean in their semi-final.

But it was a very close run thing, as they trailed 1-3 at half-time and also found themselves 2-4 down with only 15 minutes remaining.

However, in a barnstroming finish they showed great spirit and hit three goals in the last quarter of an hour to set up an all-Berwick tie in the final against neighbours Highfields United.

Scorers for the Harrow were: Nick Moor, Lee Lambert️, Josh Mcleod, Sean Simpson and Ben Jackson.

In the Waddell Cup 1st round, there were mixed fortunes for the two Berwick sides competing.

Berwick Colts went down 2-1 away to Hawick legion, whilst Highfields had a big 9-0 home win over Earlston Rhymers.

Goalscorers for United were: Lee Dodd with a hat-trick, Ryan Lillico (2), Kevin France (2), Ryan Wedderburn and Martin Inglis.

Tweedmouth Ams 11

Kelso 0

A hat-trick from Aaron Hope was the highlight as Tweedmouth Amateurs pulled off a big 11-0 home win over Kelso in the B League at the Five Arches.

Kelso gave themselves an uphill task when they arrived with only nine players, and not surprisingly they found themselves on the back foot for most of the game.

Tweedmouth enjoyed a lot of possession, but it took 20 minutes before they managed to break down the stubborn visitors with Shane McGregor providing the opener.

Hope added a second on 26 minutes finishing of a well worked move.

Kelso stayed resilient for the remainder of the half, although they rarely ventured out of their own half of the field and at half-time it remained 2-0.

Just two minutes after the break the Amateurs lost Sean Phillips to injury, but only seconds later McGregor curled home an effort from the edge of the box to stretch the lead to 3-0.

Hope got his second after after an intricate ball slipped through from Anctcliff was well finished, and he completed another hat-trick with a curling shot/cross over the keeper to make it 5-0.

A Michael Antcliff free kick from 30 yards rubbed salt into the wounds of the tiring visitors on the hour mark.

Aidan Lauder added a seventh with a shot on the turn from the box edge into the bottom corner and Kyle Wood continued to add misery to Kelso when he looped a header over the advancing keeper on the 70 minute mark.

The best move of the match by a long way came minutes later with some great movement between McGregor, Hope and finally Matty Tait with the cross from the left which was well met and finished by Kev Lee.

A Tait header from a corner made it double figures before Lauder got a second with a drive into the box with only the goal at his mercy.

The win takes the Amateurs to the top of the table.