Electrical fault to blame for Berwick house fire

An electrical fault was to blame for a severe house fire in Berwick town centre last Thursday.

Wednesday, 8th March 2017, 2:01 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 9:47 am
Fire crews put out the blaze at Church Street in Berwick.

The alarm was raised shortly before midday by a passer-by who saw thick smoke coming out of the chimney of the three-storey property on Church Street.

When fire crews arrived a short time later, flames were bursting out of a ground floor window.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went into the house and rescued a chihuahua from the second floor.

No-one else was in the house at the time.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

It is occupied by Refat Ahmed, who has a phone shop in the town.