Disappointment as Rangers end season with a defeat ...

Montrose 1-0 Berwick Rangers

Sunday, 1st May 2016, 10:28 am
Updated Sunday, 1st May 2016, 11:32 am
Berwick Rangers Fooball Club Crest

Berwick ended their season on a losing note when they were beaten by Montrose in their final league game of the season at Links Park on Saturday.

Rangers went into the match on the back of a run which had seen them lose only one of their previous ten fixtures.

But they were undone by the Angus side, with Gary Fraser scoring the only goal of the game after 43 minutes.

Chris Templeman was the first to show for the home side after four minutes with a shot over the bar.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Darren Lavery then had a shot saved from outside the box by Miller, whilst seconds later, at the other end, Adrian Mallagaray pulled a shot wide.

Berwick keeper Kevin Walker then saved to deny Terry Masson, and he also saved from Kieran McWalter, whilst Fraser shot wide.

But just two minutes before the half-time break Fraser managed to find the target, breaking the deadlock after being set up by Templeman.

In first half injury time Stevie Notman shot wide for Berwick, and it remained 1-0 at the break.

Early in the second half Berwick’s Brian Martin had a shot blocked, whilst Finn Graham had a shot saved by Miller.

As Rangers tried to force their way back into the match, Allan Walker shot wide, whilst Blair Henderson had a shot saved.

Barry Hogg, who replaced Graham, also had a shot saved by Miller, whilst Graham Webster had two efforts for the home side within three minutes, the first of which was saved by Walker, the second of which he headed over the top.

Late in the game Ross Campbell also had a shot saved by Walker, and in injury time Callum Crane shot wide with an effort from outside the box whilst Hogg had another shot saved by Miller.

But Berwick were unable to find a way through and the defeat meant they finished the season in sixth place in the table on 49 points, seven behind fourth, which was the final play-off qualifying spot.

It was a disappointing way to end the season, but far from being upset, manager John Coughlin was full,of praise for his players, who in recent weeks had turned the fortunes of the club around.

“At one stage we were bottom of the table and staring the relegation play-offs in the face. But we have put together a fantastic run of results over the past two months.

“We won six in a row at home, lost only two of the final 11 matches and guaranteed our league status as a result, so I cannot be disappointed,” he said.

“I am delighted with the way we have played recently. It would have been nice to finish with a win, but the most important thing was to get ourselves away from the bottom of the table, which we have done, and I am delighted with that fact.

“This has been a long, demanding season for the players. They have hauled themselves off the bottom and I am extremely proud of them.”

for doing that.