Disappointing Rangers lose at Cowdenbeath

Cowdenbeath 4-0 Berwick Rangers

Tuesday, 21st August 2018, 08:42 am
Updated Tuesday, 21st August 2018, 08:49 am
Berwick Rangers Fooball Club Crest

Berwick manager Robbie Horn admits he was ‘deeply disappointed’ after watching his side slump to a 4-0 defeat at Cowdenbeath on Saturday.

The Fifers had lost their opening two league games of the season and Horn had targeted this match as a possible three-pointer.

But Shielfield old boys Jordyn Sheerin and Pat Scullion were both amongst the scorers as Rangers went down to their seventh defeat in eight league and cup fixtures this term, the loss sending them to eighth place in Scottish League 2.

“I was hoping for a lot better,” said Horn. “It was a deeply disappointing result and shows that once again you can not take anything for granted in this league. We are going to have to scrap for every point we earn.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Two goals in three minutes in the first half were followed by another two in a minute midway through the second as the Gable Endies leapfrogged Rangers.

Goals from Sheerin and Martin Scott in 33 and 36 minutes, and Scullion and Robbie Buchanan on 68 and 69 minutes meant it was another disappointing afternoon for the Tweedsiders.

Paul Willis had an early shot saved for Rangers, and Darren Lavery pulled a shot wide as Berwick broke on the half hour.

But Sheerin headed in from a Fraser Mullen cross on 33 minutes before Scott doubled the Fifers’ advantage with another header just three minutes later.

Sheerin went close twice more before the break whilst early in the second half Lavery and Mullen both saw shots saved by the respective keepers.

Lavery again went close on the break before Blair Malcolm saw an effort come back off a post for Cowdenbeath on the hour mark.

The third goal came when former Berwick skipper Scullion found the top corner of the net after 68 minutes, and on 69 minutes it was 4-0 when Buchanan shot home after being set up by Harvey Swann.

Both sides were then reduced to ten men when, within a minute, Cowden’s Kyle Miller was sent off for violent conduct and Berwick’s Robert Wilson was shown two yellow cards and a red.

Berwick substitute Grant Rose had a shot saved, Jamie Todd headed wide from a corner and Lavery again shot wide on the break as Berwick tried to salvage some pride, but it was too little, too late and Cowden took their first win of the season.

“Things just aren’t going right at the moment,” said Horn. “The sending off will also leave us short, but we have to put these disappointments behind us and get back on track as quickly as possible.”

Berwick: Brennan, Cook, Wilson, Todd, Phillips (Orru 72), Brown, Murphy (Rose 72), O’Kane, Lavery, Willis, Healy (Murrell 59).

Referee: Lloyd Wilson.

Attendance: 314.