Colts leave it late in seven-goal thriller

Newly formed Berwick Rangers Colts' first ever competitive fixture in senior football got off to the worst possible start at Yarrow Park when they found themselves trailing to Selkirk after conceding a far post header with just two minutes on the clock

Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 9:56 am
Updated Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 10:58 am

But they gradually settled and were deservedly level on 15 minutes played when Rae picked out Windram, and Moore made no mistake from his cross.

It came as no surprise when Berwick added a second. Meakins’ long throw-in landed at Moore’s feet and the midfielder slotted the ball under the keeper before the home defence could react.

The Colts should have extended their lead on the stroke of half-time when Windram and Ruddick were both denied by fine saves.

Berwick began the second half on the front foot, and with 10 minutes gone Ruddick’s deft pass split the defence and played Windram in the clear. His effort was parried and it fell to Rae, but his effort flew high over the bar.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

On the hour Selkirk were given a lifeline after Lee Heath brought down his opponent in the box to concede a penalty, and with both goalkeepers unavailable, player manager Brown pulled off an heroic save low to his right to tip the ball onto the post. Meakin reacted to hook the ball to safety

Selkirk were starting to enjoy a bit more of possession and they found themselves back level when a speculative effort from 25 yards sailed over the keeper’s head.

With 10 minutes remaining the Colts regained their advantage when Briggs’ cross should have been converted by Aitchison, but he scuffed his effort into Combe’s path and the substitute tapped home from close range.

Four minutes later and Combe should have killed the game off when he outpaced the defence, but his shot hit the bar.

Berwick were left shell-shocked with four minutes remaining when Selkirk capitalised on some hesitant defending to equalise.

But with the game seemingly heading for a draw, Berwick sprang the defence yet again, and although Combe looked second best to get to the ball, the Selkirk keeper’s rushed clearance came back off his opponent’s legs and flew into the unguarded net to spark wild celebrations on the pitch.