Colts fight back for vital win in the Border League


Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 14:28 pm
Updated Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 14:06 pm


Berwick Colts trailed at half time and twice came from behind to secure all three points, the vital win moving them into second spot in the Border Amateur League C Division.

Despite Ancrum starting well, it was the visitors who had two great chances in the first 10 minutes when Craig Heath’s goal-bound effort was superbly blocked on the line. Brown was inches away from getting on the scoresheet a minute later.

Ancrum went ahead with 25 minutes played when a throw in wasn’t cleared and Kelly spun his marker to score with a fine curling strike.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Ancrum’s lead only lasted five minutes when a short throw from Windram picked out Smith on the left touchline, who caught the keeper off guard with an incredible dipping shot from 25 yards out.

Berwick were at times stretched, and Maden blocked an effort on the line, then managed to get another block in from the rebound, but Berwick’s resistance was broken on the stroke of half time when a deep corner to the far post was allowed to squeeze through three defenders to fall to Tripovic, who had the easiest of finishes to give Ancrum a half time lead.

With the second half only a minute old Smith added his and Berwick’s second goal when he evaded three defenders to get a shot away that the keeper fumbled. The ball ended up in the net.

Five minutes later and Berwick pressed home their advantage when Richards played in Windram, who played a ball into the path of Aitchison, who smashed an unstoppable, first time effort past the keeper.

Ancrum had two great chances to hit back with free headers in good positions, but they failed to hit the target.

Berwick made an inspired double substitution when Strang set up Briggs, who scored with a fine finish from a tight angle after the keeper had parried his first effort.

With 15 minutes left and the Colts in full flow, it was Windram who killed the game off with a clinical finish from the edge of the box with the outside of his boot.

Ancrum never gave up and were rewarded with seven minutes remaining when Nuttall carried the ball unchallenged, before hitting a long range strike that flew past a crowd of players and into the net.

But Berwick were able to see out the remainder of the game without too many problems.