Clyde 1-1 Berwick RangersClyde won 6-5 on penalties

For the second time in a week Berwick lost a penalty shoot-out which meant they missed out on the bonus point after a 1-1 away draw against Clyde in the Betfred League Cup at Broadwood.

Monday, 25th July 2016, 09:48 am
Updated Monday, 25th July 2016, 10:52 am

Clyde opened the scoring early in the second half through Peter MacDonald, but new Rangers striker Jordyn Sheerin netted his first goal for the Borderers.

In the penalty shootout the teams both netted their first five kicks. Clyde went 6-5 up before Graeme Beveridge missed the vital kick for Rangers.

Berwick gave a start to young reserve goalkeeper Sean Brennan, and with Stevie Notman (on honeymoon) and Darren Lavery (injured) both unavailable, Rangers showed how thin their squad is by naming an almost unrecognisable bench.

Berwick found themselves under pressure from the start and after a series of conceded corners, the first chance if the game fell to Scott Linton for the home side, who headed over after nine minutes.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

On 12 minutes Allan Walker pulled a shot wide for Berwick, but Clyde continued to set the pace and David Gormley shot wide from an acute angle before former Berwick player Ewan McNeil also went close.

Peter MacDonald then headed wide from a free kick, whilst at the other end Jordyn Sheerin had two attempts, a lob which was easily saved, and a shot which was always going high.

Clyde were always in the ascendancy and ex-Berwick player Dylan Easton fired over from a free kick shortly before half-time, but Brennan never had a direct save to make in the first 45 and at the break Rangers had managed to hang on for 0-0.

At the start of the second half McNeil pulled another shot wide for Clyde, before the deadlock was broken after 49 minutes when MacDonald shot home from the edge of the six yard box after being set up by Gormley, and six minutes later MacDonald almost bagged a second when his close-range shot came back off the crossbar.

The game looked to be slipping from Berwick’s grasp, but after 64 minutes they managed to salvage an unlikely equaliser when Sheerin broke and produced a neat finish in the bottom corner.

Three minutes later and a Steven Thomson shot had to be well saved by home keeper Gibson.

After 75 minutes, Brennan was forced into making his first real save of the game to deny Gormley in the top corner.

Clyde then had the ball in the Berwick net for a second time, but the effort was ruled offside by the referee.

Late in the game McNeil shot wide for s third time in the game, but with no further goals it ended 1-1, and for the second time in a week (after Albion Rovers on Tuesday), Rangers were involved in a penalty shoot-out for the bonus point.

But again John Coughlin’s side failed to meet with any success, this time going down 6-5.