Boardroom power struggle as Rangers' directors axe chairman

What's going on behind the scenes at Berwick Rangers?

Monday, 30th July 2018, 8:18 am
Updated Monday, 30th July 2018, 6:57 pm

That’s the question on fans’ lips this week after a turbulent few days at Shielfield.

On Thursday, at a meeting of directors, there was effectively a vote of no confidence in chairman Len Eyre and he was removed from the role.

A statement issued by the club on Friday said: ‘following several incidents over recent months, the majority of the Board found it had no confidence that Mr Eyre could provide the leadership we require for the future.’

It was revealed that following the removal of former vice chairman John Bell, who was voted out of his role, current vice chairman Dougie Watkin would be standing in until the club could find a permanent replacement.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The boardroom power struggle has been seen by supporters as an ill-timed venture, coming as it does just a few days before the team kick off their Scottish League 2 campaign with a home match against Stirling Albion.

Manager Robbie Horn, who only the day before the announcement had completed the signing of midfielder Ross Brown said: “I know it’s difficult to try and ignore what is going on upstairs, but that is what we have to try and do.

“We have to concentrate on the football, and from what we have seen so far this season, one of the most important things is to stop conceding so early in matches.”

On Saturday, Rangers lost their final League Cup group match 2-0 away against Livingston at Linlithgow, with the SPL side netting the opening goal after only three minutes. The defeat meant Livi qualified as group winners on 11 points, whilst Rangers, after conceding 14 goals in their four matches, scoring none, finished bottom of the group on no points.

Rangers fell behind to teenager Jack Hamilton’s goal just three minutes in, after he was set up by former Scotland international Kenny Miller, who is their recently appointed player-manager. Ironically, Hamilton had played part of last season on loan with Berwick when he proved himself as a useful target man.

Berwick, who gave a debut to new signing Brown, tried to respond around the half hour mark with Jack Cook having a shot saved and Paul Willis hitting a post.But Scott Pittman pulled a shot wide and Nicky Cadden had a shot saved at the other end before half time.

In the second half neither side created many chances and Cadden had a shot saved from distance by Sean Brennan, who also denied Hamilton. In quick succession, Craig Halkett and Miller both had shots blocked as the home side tried to extend their advantage, which they managed to achieve after a rash of changes after 82 minutes when substitute Jack McMillan side-footed in after being set up by Matthew Knox.

“I don’t think anybody expected us to do well at Livingston,” said Horn, “but after the first goal we held our own for a while, and of course, after the second goal there was no way back.From our point of view, the positive thing is that we have played much better in the last two games against Airdrie and Livingston.

“The distractions off the pitch obviously don’t help, but we have a job to do. We kick off the league with a home match against Stirling Albion on Saturday and we want to try and get off to a winning start.”