Berwick return with win after lay-off

Berwick RFC 37-15 Portobello

Monday, 12th February 2018, 10:46 am
Updated Monday, 12th February 2018, 10:56 am

After a lengthy lay- off Berwick finally got back into action with their first league game of 2018 against Portobello on Saturday.

Berwick had easily beaten the Edinburgh side away from home earlier in the season and the bumper crowd were expecting Berwick to pick up five league points and leapfrog their opponents in the league.

This was a much improved Portobello team however who were playing their third league game of the year and so far unbeaten.

The difference in match fitness was obvious from the start with a coherent Edinburgh side running Berwick ragged in the first 15 minutes and scoring three unconverted tries to take a 15-0 lead.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Berwick finally started to get back into their stride and with the forwards winning good ball in the line out and scrums the backs started to make good use of the ball and this was soon rewarded when Gareth Hill touched down in the corner which was followed five minutes later, when after a charge down, Jamie Pick scored in the corner to make the score 15-10.

Berwick were now starting to dominate the game and finally took the lead when Tommy McColl scored a fine try in the corner which Jack Webster, who was having a great game for the home side, converted to give Berwick a 17-10 lead at half-time.

Hill scored his second try straight from the kick-off when he chased a Webster kick through to touch down in the corner to make the score 22-10 to the home side.

The pressure Berwick were putting on the Edinburgh side was starting to tell and from a penalty award Webster converted from long range to extend the lead.

In the 70th minute Hill crossed the line again to score his third try to make the score 30-15.

The game, however, wasn’t all one sided and the Portobello side at times put prolonged pressure on the Berwick line with only stout defending stopping them from scoring.

During one of these period’s of pressure Webster intercepted a pass and the ball was quickly fed to Jack Dalrymple who ran the full length of the pitch to score under the posts which was converted to give Berwick a 22 point lead.