Berwick relegated to East League


Monday, 4th April 2016, 2:43 pm
Updated Monday, 4th April 2016, 2:47 pm


Berwick lost this relegation battle against Livingston on Saturday and will play in the BT East Regional League next season.

Berwick got off to a good start and put pressure on Livingston from the kick off. This pressure paid off and in the 12th minute Berwick were awarded a penalty which was converted by Jack Webster to make the score 0-3.

Berwick then gave away a soft try when they failed to deal with chip over the defence, which was pounced on by Livingston to score in the corner to make the score 5-3.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

There then followed a bizarre situation where the referee deemed that Jamie Pick had taken a head knock and asked that he was removed from the pitch much to Pick’s frustration.

After being assessed by the Livingston medical team Pick was cleared to continue the match, however, the referee refused to allow Pick to return to the pitch.

In the 30th minute Berwick then gave away another penalty in front of the posts to give Livingston an 8-3 lead.

This game was still within Berwick’s grasp, but in the five minutes before half-time they gave away two tries, one converted, to find themselves 20-3 down at half time.

There then followed the longest half Berwick have played this season with the referee deeming that an extra 12 minutes had to be played because of stoppages.

One of the stoppages occurred when Berwick lost Jordan Brown with an ankle injury soon into the second half meaning that Thomas Riddell, who has been carrying a leg injury, was reluctantly sent on as a replacement.

In the 65th minute, when Berwick were down to 14 men, Livingston made the most of the opportunity and scored in the corner for a 25-3 lead.

Berwick, however, didn’t let their heads go down and their perseverance paid off when they were awarded a penalty try which was converted to make the final score 25-10.