Berwick man given lengthy driving ban

A Berwick man has been disqualified from driving for more than four years after admitting his second drink-driving offence.

Thursday, 11th January 2018, 10:57 am
Berwick Magistrates' Court

Andris Grabovskis, 40, of Castlegate, was also handed an eight-week suspended prison sentence when he appeared at Berwick Magistrates’ Court.

The court was told that the incident happened around 11am on November 26, when the defendant went to his car parked outside the Free Trade pub on Castlegate and drove into another car driven by Rebecca Young.

James Long, prosecuting, said: “She approached the driver and thought he appeared drunk. He gave her his car keys and offered her money to fix the damage.”

Police arrived and arrested the defendant who was taken to Middle Engine Lane police station in Wallsend where at 1.30pm he gave a positive camic breath test of 119mg alcohol in 100ml breath – more than three times over the legal limit is 35mg alcohol.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The court heard the defendant had a previous conviction for drink driving in 2013.

Probation officer Simon Lathbury told the court that the defendant had been drinking vodka the previous evening and had a couple more glasses that morning when a friend arrived at his home.

He then agreed to drive his friend to Tesco to buy a phone.

“It was fortunate the collision was minor and that no-one was injured,” he said.

“It’s a decision he regrets,” said Ian O’Rourke, in defence.

Magistrates banned him from driving for 52 months and also ordered him to do 100 hours of unpaid work and pay £200 in costs.