Berwick drink-driver is disqualified

A Tweedmouth man has been banned from getting behind the wheel after admitting a charge of drink driving.

Monday, 11th June 2018, 9:17 am
Berwick Magistrates' Court

Janis Stabulnieks, 34, of Etal Road, pleaded guilty to the offence at Berwick Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.

The court heard that a member of the public reported a man driving erratically in an Audi A4 in Berwick on May 13.

Rehana Haque, prosecuting, said: “PC Whittaker received information from a member of the public concerned the driver might be drunk.

“The officer was behind a vehicle matching the description on the Old Bridge in Berwick. He attempted to stop it but the vehicle continued to travel for around 30 seconds before coming to a stop.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The defendant failed a roadside breath test and was taken to a police station where he gave a positive camic reading of 84mg/alc in 100ml/breath. The legal limit is 35mg.

Ian O’Rourke, in mitigation, said the defendant, a Latvian, was a man of good character who had been living in the UK for two years. He worked at Drysdales in Cockburnspath picking vegetables.

“It was a very hot day and group of migrant workers got together for a party and he made the foolish decision to drive his vehicle after having too much to drink,” said Mr O’Rourke.

He was banned from driving for 20 months, although this will be reduced if he completes a rehabilitation course. He must also pay a fine and costs totalling £365.