Bandits put up for sale on eve of 50th year

The future of Berwick Speedway was again brought into question at the weekend when the club was put up for sale.

Monday, 5th September 2016, 7:41 am
Updated Monday, 5th September 2016, 8:49 am
Berwick Bandits Speedway Alex Edberg

The announcement was made at the weekend when chairman John Anderson said: “We have taken the club as far as we can. The club is up for sale as a going concern and we are ready to talk to interested parties.”

News of the sale came just two weeks after the resignation of a three-man consortium, which had been set up prior to the start of the season to help ease the financial pressure of running the sport on Tweedside.

This followed a winter of uncertainty when Anderson made his now infamous ‘makeover or takeover’ claim.

In a statement which was issued on Sunday, Anderson said the current season, the 49th in the club’s history, would be the last under the present promotion.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He said: “Since becoming involved as promoter here in 2009, I have watched with pride as the track surface and lighting were improved beyond recognition, our foam-fence, the best and safest in the Premier League, was installed and we introduced track covers, first in 2012 and improved upon this season.

“Under this promotion we have gained full FIM approval for our stadium and presentation standards, staged four televised meetings live on SkySports, three FIM World Championship events, two British Championships and the 2013 BenFund Bonanza.

“However the strain of running the organisation has sapped our collective enthusiasm and stamina to the point where we recognise we have, personally, gone as far as we can.

“The time has come for others, perhaps younger and with fresh ideas for the onward progress and promotion of speedway in Berwick upon Tweed, to take over, buy us out and take up the challenge of running the club and delivering an entertaining weekly speedway show at Shielfield Park.

“Running a speedway here doesn’t come cheap, as George (Hepburn), Ryan (Anderson)and I well know, but we hope and trust there will be interest from some person or group willing to take over and take the sport forward into what will be the club’s 50th season in 2017.”

Interested parties should contact John Anderson on 07503-540236 or George Hepburn on 07831-181089. All enquiries will be treated in fullest confidence.