A new book, Alnmouth to Berwick by Roger Darsley and Dennis Lovette, charts the history of the railway in north Northumberland.
The book includes information on several intermediate stations that were closed during the 1950s, while The Seahouses and Tweed Dock branches provide interesting studies of lines serving East Coast harbours.
This 96-page book, complete with 120 photographs, makes an important contribution to local transport history and will be available from local bookshops at £18.95 or from publishers from January 30.
1. Fallodon Hall
This was the private station for Fallodon Hall; the public were to use Christon Bank station. It was fully equipped but without a goods depot. It was closed by 1935. The buildings survived until the mid-1960s. (J.Alsop coll.)
2. Alnmouth Station
The road bridge to the south of Alnmouth station was a convenient place to watch and photograph until the overhead catenary went up in 1991. This was 1967 and the end of regular steam working was nigh. (J.C.Dean/NERA)
3. Royal Border Bridge
Class 40 1-Co-Co-1DE no. 40057 was crossing the Royal Border Bridge with a loaded coal train on on 30th January 1981. The famous signal gantry on the bridge has been replaced by a colour light signal. (B.Morrison)
4. Chathill station
Y7 class 0-4-0T no. 68089 and driver wait at Chathill to leave for Seahouses. Possibly there may be passengers from the train hauled by a class V2 2-6-2 entering the station. Notice the full station name board. (W.A.Camwell)