Three wins in a row for Berwick Colts

editorial image
Have your say

Berwick Colts 25, Tynedale Colts 14

Berwick Colts added another impressive scalp as they made it three wins out of three against a strong and well-drilled Tynedale side.

A typically cold and damp Scremerston day meant that the ball was slippery and sometimes appeared to have a mind of its own. In defiance of these conditions Berwick’s first try was a well-worked, flowing backs move from a midfield ruck enabling John Weatherhead to put through winger Mark Blair for a fine score in the corner. This was followed up by a fine forwards try this time pushing the opposition over to touch down in the corner again. During this first period of the game and against the run of play Tynedale had taken full advantage of a couple of defensive errors and went in at half time leading by 14-10. They were not to score again.

With the wind at their backs in the second half the Berwick forwards built on the dominance they had begun to establish in the first period against a much bigger Tynedale pack. Relentless periods of Berwick pressure led to a try and a penalty as the forwards demonstrated how to use the short ball effectively. Tynedale adopted an approach it appeared they had copied from New Zealand and committed very few players to the ruck but this proved to be to no avail as Berwick’s mauling and pick and go game secured them territorial advantage throughout the second period of the match.

On the rare couple of occasions Tynedale strayed into their opponent’s half the Berwick defence held up well making sure to a man that tackles were not missed, forcing errors and coming away with turnover ball.

Berwick’s Number 8 Harry Borthwick capped an excellent team performance with a devastating and agile charge through the centre leading to a memorable try. The move had begun with a fine piece of individual skill from team captain Lewis Davie breaking off from the scrum and feeding the big Number 8A who did the rest.

Back to the top of the page