Youth Football - Bad day at office for Tweedmouth

Have your say

Tweedmouth 1, Dalkeith CYP 2: NOW that Tweedmouth were back to winning ways after last week’s result against Edinburgh United, it was Dalkeith CYP who was next on the agenda for the Under 19s.

Dalkeith were sitting one place below and only three points behind Tweedmouth in the league, so this was always going to be a close match.

Tweedmouth started the game with four at the back to bolster the home side’s defence with Sean Dixon dropping back from midfield to partner fellow centre half, Jake Birkett. Along with Berwick Academy’s pitch comes a strong wind which both sides had to put up with for the entire 90 minutes.

It was Dalkeith who broke the deadlock early into the first half, and ironically, the wind played its part in this goal. Dalkeith’s central midfielder latched onto a bouncing ball and drove forward into space, he struck the ball towards goal from around 25 yards out and once it was up in the air there was only one outcome, over the keeper and into the net, 1-0.

Just over five minutes later, Tweedmouth equalised through Sean Dixon. The home side won a free kick on the half way line and it was Shane Macgregor who clipped the ball into the back post where Dixon was on hand to head the ball into the corner of the net via the post. Shortly after, Tweedmouth were forced into making a first half substitution. Grant Sharp came on after Shane Macgregor had to go off through injury.

Into the second half and it was Dalkeith who looked the more likely to score when going forward. In particular their speedy winger was looking very dangerous but the home defence stood tall and did their best to prevent going behind. With Tweedmouth not offering much at all attacking wise, it was only a matter of time before Dalkeith did go and score the goal which turned out to be the winner. A ball was crossed into the back post where an unmarked attacker had all the time in the world to control the ball and curl it into far corner.

Next week the juniors travel to Tranent in first round of the Federation of Hibs Supporters Cup. It is vital that Tweedmouth bounce back from this match and look to put things right next Saturday.

Tweedmouth Juniors Football Club would like to thank Neil Swinney Plumbing Services for sponsoring the match.

Tweedmouth: S. Robertson, A. Williams, Ja. Birkett, S. Dixon, K. Bowell, L. Dickson, S. Macgregor, K. Bullen, M. Tait, D. Tindle, D. Patterson. Subs used: G. Sharp, G. Fairbairn, J. Turnbull, R. Renton, S. Gold.


Forest Hall 3, Berwick Rang Juns U16s 2: Forest Hall opened the scoring after ten minutes of this match when one of their midfield players controlled the ball 25 yards out and sent a cracking shot into the back of the net.

Berwick then began to dominate possession and several overhit passes found their way through to the home keeper before Kristian Dixon beat his man and drove into the box for the equaliser.

Owen Benzies was then unlucky when he saw a shot crass off the crossbar.

In the second half Rangers slipped behind for a second time when goalkeeper Joseph Raich saved a free kick, but the ball fell kindly for a Forest Hall forward who tapped in the rebound.

Berwick then created a string of chances but could bot score, and against the run of play the home side scored a scrambled third from a free kick.

A Luke Dixon deflected shot got Berwick back in touch at 3-2, but Forest hall managed to hang on for the victory.

Back to the top of the page