Local football round-up

Phil Addison'Berwick Rangers v Rangers

Phil Addison'Berwick Rangers v Rangers

Have your say

A look at all the non-league local football action.


Willington Quay4


SECOND division leaders Wooler gave first division Willington Quay a fright when the sides met in the second round of the George Dobson League Cup on Saturday.

The Glendale side gave their all and after normal time it was 3-3 with Tristan Jeffries, Craig Henderson and Luke Strangeways all finding the net for the visitors.

Two goals from Mark Henderson and another from Colin Bell took the game into extra-time, where unfortunately Wooler were unable to hold on and they went out of the competition to a strike from John Foggart.

This weekend Wooler return to league action with an Alliance second division game away to Blyth Isabella.


Bamburgh Castle5

Alnmouth Utd0

DURING a patchy first half performance home keeper Darren Edgell had to be at his best on two occasions when Alnmouth threatened but an early goal from Sam Aldred and a second from Gareth McCann calmed the home nerves.

In the second half Chris Dalton lobbed the keeper to get his first goal of the campaign, Johnny Johnson added another and Alex Mackay rounded things up with a tap-in for the fifth.

N Sunderland4


THE home team took a second minute lead but Shilbottle came back into the game and scored twice to lead at half time.

The second half was evenly matched five more goals scored to see the points shared at the final whistle.

For N Sunderland the scorers were Andrew Robertson with two, Dean Avery and Stephen Campbell. For Shilbottle, Stephen Hogg got two while Chris Chisholm and Kenny Collins also notched.

Robson Cup


Tweedmouth Harrow0

HARROW had plenty of possession during this game but never really threatened the Belford keeper.

After a goaless first half a Belford corner led to the club netting a through Ryan Lillico after 56 minutes.

On the hour mark Harrow were awarded a penalty but the spot kick was put wide of the goal and minutes later Scott Hunter made sure of the win when he finished off a mazy run by scoring Belford’s second.

Boulmer FC3

Tweedmouth Rangers4

IN a closely contested game it was Craig Todd who gave Tweedmouth the lead but Boulmer hit back to lead at half time with goals from Stuart Sullivan and Mark Boyle.

In the second half Todd got his second and Keiran Cromarty netted to put the visitors ahead but Sullivan scored his second of the game to equalise for Boulmer.

Extra time looked likely but Craig Howard struck to win the game for Tweedmouth.


Tweedmouth Colts1


AS in the previous week Tweedmouth were unable to convert chances but this time it was down to bad luck and a few good saves from the goalkeeper.

Tweedmouth, as usual, started brightly playing some very attractive football and Jordan Clark went close and made the keeper pull off a good save.

A failure to clear their lines saw the Colts go 2-0 down against the run of play.

But this didn’t deter the young Colts who continued to press but were met with a very stubborn and at times very fortunate Gordon rearguard.

As the half drew to a close Gordon broke away and put themselves three goals clear going into half time.

Throughout the second half Tweedmouth had the visiting goal under siege and they got a glimmer of hope when after a challenge on the keeper by Clark, Mark Purves was there to tap in.

For all the superb build up play Tweedmouth were unfortunate not to be able to capitalise on the amount of posession they had and although they had a couple of good penalty shouts it wasn’t to be their day.

Special mention for young referee Gregor Thomson who handled the game superbly.

Match sponsored by Sisters Hairdressing


Durham City0

Lowick United4

LOWICK travelled to Durham after the disappointment of an early exit from this years FA Cup.

The game started with Durham almost scoring within the first two minutes but that proved to be the last strke of any note on the Lowick goal for the rest of the first half as the away side dominated.

Half time came and the game was still 0-0 but in the second half Lowick deservedly took the lead through Jodie Robinson, who beat the keeper from 30 yards.

Anna Darcy then drove the ball into the net from six yards to put Lowick 2-0 up and it was obvious from this stage that they were starting to take control and Durham were struggling.

Lowick then made their first change when Steph Hay made way for Laura Rowan and the shake-up worked because minutes later Libby Scott came on for the injured Michelle Stewart.

Both the replacements got into the game straight away and both had chances.

Libby had a double strike well saved and Laura was already celebrating when her strike hit both posts and came back out to the Durham keeper.

Darcy notched her second before Jodine Bolton got her name on the scoresheet when she scored from one of the many Lowick corners.

YOUTHS: Tweedmouth 2, Musselburgh Windsor 3 -

Tweedmouth Juniors travelled to Musselburgh on Saturday to face league leaders and in-form Musselburgh Windsor in what was expected to be a great match.

It was early as the fifth minute when Musselburgh got off to the perfect start. A corner came in from the right hand side and was met by Windsor’s centre half after goalkeeper Robertson misjudged the flight of the cross.

This early goal spurred on Tweedmouth as they took control of possession early on. Their first real chance came from Dylan Patterson when he found himself one on one but the opposing goalkeeper got down to save well. Luke Dickson almost got his name on the score sheet after he hit a sweet dipping volley which narrowly went wide.

Tweedmouth’s equaliser came in the 21st minute when Daniel Tindle was on hand to head the ball home. This came from an absolute beauty of a strike from skipper Luke Dickson who smashed the underside of the crossbar and bounced out to find Tindle free of his marker to score a deserved equaliser.

The second half started much the same as the first; both teams getting the ball down and playing true football on a great 3G surface. Chances were few and far between for either side but when they did; it was Tweedmouth who took the first of theirs. After a great run down the right hand side, Grant Sharp crossed to find unmarked man of the match Shane Macgregor, whose header deceived the goalkeeper and went into the far corner of the net.

But Musselburgh piled on the pressure and a questionable decision was made in the build-up to Musselburgh’s equaliser where the ball appeared to come off the head of Bowell and out for a corner. The corner was fired into the back post where Jack McIntyrs header was handled on the line by Grant Sharpe.. Sharp conceded a penalty but was lucky to escape with a ywllow card.. Kieran McHarg sent Tweedmouth keeper Robertson the wrong way to make it 2-2 with ten minutes remaining. Just three minutes later Musselburgh grabbed the winner. A sloppy foul was given away which resulted in a free kick out wide for the home side. Jack Thomson, curled his effort towards goal and managed to find the back of the net to put them 3-2 up.

Back to the top of the page