Football - Late Scott strike earns Wooler a draw

Have your say

Wooler 2, Birtley St Joseph 5: WOOLER were forced to come from behind to earn a draw and take a point from their Northern Alliance second division game against Birtley St Joseph.

The result keeps the Glendale side in second place in the table, just three points behind leaders North Shields Athletic.

James Scott gave Wooler an early lead, but this was cancelled out by the visitors who drew level through Damien Stevens.

Stevens then netted again to put Birtley in front and with the clock ticking down it looked as if Wooler might end up on the wrong side of a defeat.

But with just two minutes remaining Scott equalised with his second of the game.

This weekend Wooler travel to take on Blyth Isabella in the second round of the Pinpoint Amateur Cup.

IN the North Northumberland League it was Anderson Cup day on Saturday.

In the preliminary round Springhill went down 3-1 at home to Red Row, whilst in the first round there were wins for North Sunderland (over Newbiggin) and Belford (away to Rothbury), whilst Tweedmouth Harrow went down to Shilbottle.

Belford won 2-1 at Rothbury, the visitors taking the lead after only two minutes through Darren Thompson.

It was the only goal of the first half and in the second half the home side hit the woodwork twice before equalising through Dan Heron after 65 minutes.

Belford regained the lead five minutes later when Michael Robinson scored what proved to be the winning goal.

North Sunderland hit Newbiggin for six in their match at Seahouses.

A Ryan Thompson penalty after ten minutes gave the home side the lead and the same player netted again to double their advantage.

Newbiggin pulled a goal back through Mick Angus but after half-time NS scored twice to extend their lead

Tony Messenger bagged a second for Newbiggin, but anopther two late goals sealed the win for the home side.

Thompson completed his hat-trick with Andrew Robertson scoring twice and Bobby Douglas also on target for the victors.

The Harrow went down 3-1 away to Shilbottle. They fell behind to a Kenny Collins goal after 25 minutes but they managed to draw level after 40 through Craig Anderson.

The second half was fairly even until Scott McMullan put the home side back in front.

The Harrow keeper then saved a penalty, but he was beaten for a third time by Collins, who grabbed his second of the game after 86 minutes.

In the second division Tweedmouth Rangers recorded a big 6-0 win over Lowick to leapfrog them into second place in the table.

They got off to a good start with Craig Walker volleying home after only two minutes and a headed goal from Peter McAskill after 25 minutes doubled the advantage.

In the second half McAskill scored again after 50 minutes with Gary Robertson bagging a fourth after 60.

Walker netted again after 65 and the scoring was completed by McAskill, who notched his hat-trick with his side’s sixth.

Wooler Reserves took a point from a 2-2 away draw at Boulmer.

Andy Geddes gave Boulmer the lead but Tritan Jeffrey equalised. Mark Boyle restored the home side’s advantage before half-time, but after the break Jack Strangeways levelled it up again.

Back to the top of the page