Berwick’s town team has pledged to press ahead with its regeneration plans, despite the withdrawal of its £200,000 Portas funding.
Its board of directors remain hopeful that Northumberland County Council’s decision to hand financial control over to Berwick Town Council will be reversed.
Chris Hardie, acting town team chairman, said: “We have received a tremendous indication of support from the public and councillors wishing to fight against the county council’s plans to withdraw the Portas money from the town team.
“Based on this show of support and its hoped for reversal in the decision, the town team decided at their board meeting last Friday to continue at full speed ahead working for the economic benefit of the town centre.”
County council chief executive Steve Stewart withdrew the Portas funding from the town team because he felt the money was not being spent fast enough.
The group has only spent £50,000 but claims it was advised by John Lord of Arch not to undertake any more projects until this autumn.
Mr Stewart said: “We are very appreciative of the efforts of everyone who has played a role in the town team, and thank them for their hard work. We are very pleased to see the achievements so far - including the pop up shop in Marygate and planned support for the market. Our decision was the result of a review of the pilot scheme and a look at ways to speed up delivery of activities and initiatives, and to ensure that the £200,000 budget is utilised as quickly as possible to benefit the town.
“The original bid was submitted by Berwick Town Council and we thought it would be appropriate to ask the council to take responsibility for managing the funds.
“We have asked the town council to let us know by the end of November if they are willing to manage the pilot.
“In the meantime, Arch will take temporary charge, advised by the Berwick’s Future partnership.
“There are a number of projects under consideration and we will announce the next round of funding awards in the next few weeks.”