After 114 years in the building, the Berwick Advertiser is set to move out of 90 Marygate. But by moving only next door, we are not going far.
Parent company Johnston Press has agreed a long-term lease of four office suites at Berwick Workspace, located just behind the existing Advertiser building.
An offer for the prominent Tweeddale Press Group building at the top end of the high street has been accepted and the sale is expected to be finalised shortly.
The move means Berwick Advertiser and Berwickshire News staff will be going back to a site previously occupied by Tweeddale Press Group before the building was demolished. Berwick Workspace was built in its place.
An exact date for the move has still to be finalised, however staff expect to be in the new offices at Workspace by the end of the summer.
Editor Phil Johnson said: “After more than a century at our present location, it will be a sad day when we move out of 90 Marygate. There is a lot of history here. But the building is no longer fit for purpose.
“Moving next door to new, modern offices will give us a faster broadband network, which is a crucial aspect of our work these days.
“The new offices are also a more appropriate size. Most importantly, being located next door to where we are now means we will continue to be based in the town centre.”
The Berwick Advertiser originally moved to its present site on Marygate in 1900. The building was specially erected as a newspaper office after the famous Black Bull Hotel, which had previously stood on the site for generations, was pulled down.
Tweeddale Press Group was born in 1950 when Berwick Advertiser owner Major J I M Smail bought the Southern Reporter.
The Marygate building was established as the headquarters of the family-run firm, which expanded further when The Berwickshire News was taken over in 1957.
The Advertiser, established in 1808, was owned by one family until 2000, when Tweeddale Press Group was bought over by present owners Johnston Press.
Opened in 2008 on the site of the former Tweeddale Press print works, Berwick Workspace was originally developed as an incubator for start-up businesses and was part funded by the European Regional Development Fund.
The centre, which has 35 individual office spaces, is owned and managed by Arch, Northumberland County Council’s arms-length development company.